Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   FW seam guide (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/fw-seam-guide-t260086.html)

fred liniger 01-23-2015 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mamatron (Post 7058057)
I love sewing on my Featherweight but I am having a heck of a time getting a quarter inch seam. I bought the Alphasew 1/4" foot with guide but it wobbles too much to get a good seam allowance. Someone told me to try the seam guide that came with the FW so I bought one of those and found out that I cannot screw it into the bed of the machine because the hole is stripped. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix that? If I used a bigger screw would it ruin the bed of the machine?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a 1/4 FOOT AT MY QUILT SHOP . IT SEWS PERFECT 1/4 inch seams It's called little foot for FW's. Goes on in place of regular foot. They have them for short an long shank machines. works great

Tink's Mom 01-23-2015 02:27 PM

I just use a pad of sticky notes...besides if you need to jot down something important...you don't need to locate paper.

Mamatron 01-28-2015 05:09 PM

How do you know if the screw is the right one?

Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to try some of them until I can straighten this out.

Pat M. 01-29-2015 09:27 AM

But a new needle plate with the guide marks on it. Easily found on the internet.

iadhikari 01-29-2015 10:40 AM

I just bought some adhesive seam-guide stickers from Sew Classic. I'm going to adhere them to my unmarked FW needle plates. There are 5 for $1.29. Thought it would be worth a shot, since I paid $40 for a vintage marked needle plate and have two more FWs that need markings! If you type "sew classic adhesive stickers" into Google, it should come up.
Ila
p.s. I have no connection to Sew Classic other than being a first-time customer.

J Miller 01-29-2015 08:37 PM

Ila,

I'm a many time Sew-Classic customer. Good place to spend much money.

I bought some of those stick on graduated stickers, put one on my HOTHER machine (avatar pic) and found it all but useless for me.
Even with the graduated marks I could not keep the seams straight. Also after a while the fabric began to curl the sticker at the leading edge.

So I went back to the screw on fabric guides. Those stickers are a waste of money in my opinion. Of course YMMV.

Joe

Vridar 01-30-2015 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7069511)
I bought some of those stick on graduated stickers, put one on my HOTHER machine (avatar pic) and found it all but useless for me...Also after a while the fabric began to curl the sticker at the leading edge.

Same for me. So I made some magnetized wood blocks.

misseva 01-30-2015 07:22 AM

I never could keep a straight seam using the etched/printed seam guides on any sewing machine. I prefer the magnetized ones or screw on type.

J Miller 01-30-2015 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 7069845)
I never could keep a straight seam using the etched/printed seam guides on any sewing machine. I prefer the magnetized ones or screw on type.

It's especially hard to keep a straight seam if you have a machine that twists the fabric. With the screw on guide you can keep the fabric against the guide and get a good seam.

Joe

iadhikari 01-30-2015 10:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the stickers, everyone! I needed a brush cap for my FW so I added on the stickers anyway, and I'll see if/how they work for me.
I also bought a clear plastic seam guide that screws onto the bed and goes all the way from the front edge to the back. I bought it from an online site called Suncatcher. Theirs was less expensive than Nova Montgomery's, which I'm sure is good, too. I'm going to try to put on the sticker, then align the seam guide, and see how that works.
Always fiddling,
Ila