Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   FW seam guide (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/fw-seam-guide-t260086.html)

Mamatron 01-21-2015 05:01 PM

FW seam guide

I love sewing on my Featherweight but I am having a heck of a time getting a quarter inch seam. I bought the Alphasew 1/4" foot with guide but it wobbles too much to get a good seam allowance. Someone told me to try the seam guide that came with the FW so I bought one of those and found out that I cannot screw it into the bed of the machine because the hole is stripped. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix that? If I used a bigger screw would it ruin the bed of the machine?

Thanks in advance.

Rodney 01-21-2015 05:52 PM

Are you certain the hole is stripped? If it is then I can think of a couple possible solutions.
If there's room on the underside this might work. Drill and tap a small piece of aluminum to the original size of screw.
Thoroughly clean the underside of the surface and epoxy the new metal piece on so the hole lines up with the original hole. That way you can use the original size thumbscrew. I would screw the piece on using the original thumbscrew and hole to be sure things stayed lined up while the epoxy cures.
The other easier option is to find a larger thumbscrew then drill and tap the hole to fit that.
I almost suggested a magnetic seam guide but your machine is aluminum.
A lot of people use a stack of sticky notes as a seam guide too.
Rodney

maviskw 01-21-2015 06:29 PM

I put a piece of tape lined up to 1/4 inch from the needle. That is something to keep your eye on, but if you want to sew in the middle of a piece, it won't be in the way.
Actually, my tape is 3/16 of an inch from the needle. I'd rather have a little to trim than have it too short.
The blue painters tape is really good for this.

manicmike 01-21-2015 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7058111)
I almost suggested a magnetic seam guide but your machine is aluminum.

Only the bed: The needle plate is steel and will work fine with a magnetic guide.

NJ Quilter 01-22-2015 02:48 AM

I'd go with the magnetic as well or the pile of sticky notes; painters tape; bandaid. Or keep your eyes open on CL for some original attachments/feet. DH picked up a box of them for $5 for me several years ago. I use a 1/4" foot w/o guide. Even on my computerized Viking, I found that the 1/4" w/guides are not particularly accurate.

J Miller 01-22-2015 09:14 AM

Are you sure the bed mounted guide screw is the correct thread diameter?

There are some face plate screws that look like the screws used to hold attachments but are just a bit smaller so they won't tighten down.

The screws can also be worn out so try a new screw.

Joe

Aurora 01-23-2015 07:11 AM

I have used the magnetic guide on my 301A; however, now I prefer painter's tape because I run it all the way to the front and back of the machine and line the fabric up all the way to the needle, it helps me get an accurate even seam.

dwerther 01-23-2015 07:37 AM

Featherweight Edition of the Ideal Seam Gauge: http://www.quilters-connection.com/s...ht-seam-guide/

Watch the video.

oldtnquiltinglady 01-23-2015 09:03 AM

Painter's tape is my answer to teaching the new quilters these days. No one knows how to listen well enough to install the seam guide correctly, even if they have one in their collection--but let me clarify here that most of my students are young professional women who are geniuses on the computer and don't understand the workings of a manual sewing machine. And to top that off, a 1/4" seam isn't even important to them--the quilt police don't frighten them at all......

misseva 01-23-2015 12:32 PM

I use a magnetic seam guide on my FW. And yes, it only works right at the needle plate not on the black part.