Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Going on the Road... Coast to Coast (literally) and Back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/going-road-coast-coast-literally-back-t264859.html)

SteveH 05-05-2015 07:39 AM

Going on the Road... Coast to Coast (literally) and Back

Greetings folks,

Between the great job being super busy, working on sewing machines, working on my "new" 1965 Corvair, and getting the final details done for my Wedding on May 20th, life has not been boring...

I am posting this because The day after we get married, Heather and I are hitting the road and driving on a whirlwind trip across the entire country to the east coast. Heather has never really been east of Nevada, so I am introducing her to the "original 13"

Until we get to Boston we will have my 1867 MOP Grover & Baker cabinet in the rental vehicle, it is being delivered to the person who will be preparing it for it's new life in a South Carolina Museum.

The outbound trip is taking the southern route, the return trip is the northern route. Anyone wanna meet up for lunch/dinner along the way?

Also, Since we will be empty on the way back I can do an East Coast to West Coast mule/shuttle service for folks. (but side trips off the main route will need to be kept to a minimum.

The general plan is:
May 20th - Get married in Yosemite

May 21st - Leave Yosemite on road trip early AM
May 23rd - Arrive Georgia to visit Sister

May 25th - Arrive Washington DC
May 26th - Arrive Boston

May 28th - Arrive Philadelphia
May 30th - Arrive Jamestown, NY

May 31st - leave Jamestown NY for home
June 3nd - return home

Mrs. SewNSew 05-05-2015 07:45 AM

Wow congratulations on the upcoming wedding and the trip! How did it come to pass that a museum will have your Grover and Baker?

MFord 05-05-2015 07:56 AM

Congratulations, Steve! Best wishes for many wonderful years together! Cool that your SM is going to a big museum,too!

ManiacQuilter2 05-05-2015 08:02 AM

Congratulation!! You will be exhausted after that long of a road trip. My family car was a 1960 Corvair that never leaked a drop of oil until I drove it over the 100,000 milestone. Make time for some hiking in Yosemite. You will never regret it. Love Philadelphia with all the history that city has. I enjoyed finding the resting place of men who had signed the Declaration of Independence. Be sure to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. So awe inspiring.

tessagin 05-05-2015 09:01 AM

Congratulations and best wishes!!

roguequilter 05-05-2015 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7186828)
Greetings folks,

The outbound trip is taking the southern route, the return trip is the northern route. Anyone wanna meet up for lunch/dinner along the way?

The general plan is:
May 20th - Get married ...CONGRATULATIONS !!! ...wish you many years of love!

May 25th - Arrive Washington DC - i don't know if the industrial arts museum is open again after being closed for the renovations i read about, but if so ...do try to find time for that bit of the Smithsonian! where hubs & i have spent many happy hours. they had a huge display case of antique sewing machines of 1800's. where i found that the w&w that hubs had brought home from a tool auction, thinking it was a scroll saw (:D), was actually a sewing machine !

May 26th - Arrive Boston - national aquarium in baltimore!!

May 28th - Arrive Philadelphia
May 30th - Arrive Jamestown, NY

May 31st - leave Jamestown NY for home
June 3nd - return home

my husband has worked for a construction company for many many years. they sent us all over the country to new jobs for years. as a result of moving every few months to new jobs that were usually spaced across the full width of the continental United States, we have traveled coast to coast many times & visited as many historical places as we could. enjoy your trip!! this is such a beautiful country filled w beautiful people! and if, as you cross the northern tier route, you find yourself crossing washington state via hwy 90 ...we'd be delighted to wander north a bit and meet you for lunch in a historic mining town or ??? ...

SteveH 05-05-2015 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks folks. (FYI - NOT driving the Corvair on this trip....shudder)

Yeah, The only two states I have not been to myself are Maine and Hawaii.... Heather, not so much. It bugs me that she has never seen the Historical places of the US herself, so we are making that the goal of the honeymoon. We have been together for more than 10 years, and she was actually my best friends girlfriend in HS, so the honeymoon is more of a vacation...

Heather and I had never been to Yosemite when we went last year. We were both so moved that we decided to delay the wedding for a year to make the necessary reservations to get married there. Yeah, amazing place. This is the spot we are getting married in.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518913[/ATTACH]

MrsSewnSew - because they offered me over 7x what I paid for it.....

Rogue - Sorry, nope, Utah down to California directly. But, if you are up to a road trip later we will be in Willits in northern CA in late August for the Kinetic Carnival with the whole collection displayed in the Mendicino County Museum

SteveH 05-05-2015 09:23 AM

just to put it in perspective....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518914[/ATTACH]

LoriEl 05-05-2015 09:55 AM

Congratulations! What a beautiful setting for your wedding. May you have a future full of love, laughter and quilting!

Macybaby 05-05-2015 10:35 AM

Congrats on the upcoming wedding - and you know if you are ever passing through SD - you are very welcome to stop here. We are only 4 miles north of I90.