Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Grease questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/grease-questions-t176380.html)

janeite 01-21-2012 02:44 AM

Grease questions

So I have been wanting to get some tri flow or singer sewing machine grease for the gears of my sewing machines. My husband suggested I just use some of the grease he uses for his tractor. According to him, a gear is just a gear, no matter if it is in a sewing machine or a tractor.

I have read about grease before online, and I do remember that even Vaseline can be used in a pinch.
This has really got me wondering if he is correct. I didn't want to use it until I asked here. I figured y'all would know!

ckcowl 01-21-2012 03:26 AM

you should never use any (grease) on your sewing machines that is not specifically ---SEWING MACHINE OIL---
the Tractor Grease would gum up your works and cause an expensive trip to a repair shop.
you can get sewing machine oil at sewing machine dealers, stores like Joannes, on line at Clotilde's, Nancy's notions, Connecting threads---among many others. do not use products that are not meant for sewing machine- that's a costly mistake.

Bennett 01-21-2012 05:20 AM

Definitely stick with something like Triflow or the Singer products. Believe me, I'm the queen of "if it works, use it," but having seen what old 3-in-1 oil and gummy black grease look like in old sewing machines, I wouldn't use it. I haven't used Triflow, but that's what I'm going to try when my giant bottle of Singer oil runs out. :) Been working on that bottle for years!

irishrose 01-21-2012 08:59 AM

Singer grease is sold in LQSs in a small tube. As the previous posters indicated, Singer lubricant is what you need. I think the book says only once or twice a year for lubricant, but oil much oftener than that. I usually oil after every quilt.

janeite 01-21-2012 09:20 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am covered with the regular sewing machine oil; I just need grease for the gears. I guess I will have to order it online. Ughh. That's a bad part of living in the sticks I guess.

tate_elliott 01-21-2012 01:30 PM

I'm no expert, however I have used black lithium auto grease on my metal geared Singer 500. This is probably what your husband uses on his tractor. I believe this was suggested by someone on the vintage Singer forum on Yahoo.

I believe the person above who warned against it was thinking you'd use it in place of sewing machine oil. I have since bought both Triflow oil and a teflon-based grease, although a different brand. I got them both at a bicycle shop.

I have no hesitation suggesting the black lithium grease or whatever your husband uses. However, for your peace of mind, you could wipe it off once you get the teflon products. And yes, I've heard of using Vasoline in a pinch.

Tate

Charlee 01-21-2012 02:29 PM

You never OIL the GEARS on a vintage machine. They're always lubed with either Singer lube, or you can use vaseline. It only takes a small amount.

I've heard that lithium grease can harden over time and become a problem...

k9dancer 01-22-2012 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 4895133)
you should never use any (grease) on your sewing machines that is not specifically ---SEWING MACHINE OIL---
the Tractor Grease would gum up your works and cause an expensive trip to a repair shop.
you can get sewing machine oil at sewing machine dealers, stores like Joannes, on line at Clotilde's, Nancy's notions, Connecting threads---among many others. do not use products that are not meant for sewing machine- that's a costly mistake.

There is a difference between sewing machine oil and sewing machine grease/lube. Grease/lube is thick, while oil is slippery. Grease/lube is for gears only; oil goes on any other metal to metal places. While it is possible to use a variety of types of grease/lube, oil is much more picky, and I would only use Tri-Flow or sewing machine oil. Using any other type of oil is asking for trouble down the line. I recently serviced a machine that had been oiled with 3 in one oil.....long story short, it took about two months to loosen up the dried on oil, and yes, I worked on it every day.

cmrenno 01-22-2012 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=Bennett;4895362 I haven't used Triflow, but that's what I'm going to try when my giant bottle of Singer oil runs out. :) Been working on that bottle for years![/QUOTE]

My Singer oil turns brown (no longer clear) after a year or so. The minute it turns I throw it out!!! Right now I am using the Zoom Spout Oiler. Its in a clear bottle and I can check to see if it turns color. Its seems to me that it lasts longer than Singer oil! I hope its alright to use it!

And I also have Singer Lubricant for the gears!

LindaR 01-23-2012 05:49 AM

I was very interested in this subject....does a treadle need the lube? I was sewing with mine the other day and if froze up completely...panic, but then oiled the shaft and inside of head and it took right off again...am I not oiling enough????