Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Great grandmothers 15-90 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/great-grandmothers-15-90-a-t266558.html)

fatquarters 06-18-2015 07:07 AM

Great grandmothers 15-90

I have a chance to have my late great grandmothers singer 15-90. It is in good condition and is in a cabinet. Trouble is, it will take up lots of room with the cabinet, and I am pretty sure it will never get used. I do have a featherweight and a 301, and really love the 301 slant needle, and I love the gear driven, so not likely to use this one. Also, it appears to be knee operated, not sure I will like that either. I am sure in 25 years, when my sons have to put me away, they will say "what was MOM thinking?". BUT it was my Grandmas. What to do???? If I keep it, is there any chance my 301 will fit in the cabinet? I can't seem to figure this out, I am not sure where to find the class of each machine.

I know ya'all are enablers, and will think I am crazy for hesitating......but please help me make this decision. pros and cons? thanks for your help

ManiacQuilter2 06-18-2015 07:24 AM

Is there another sewer in your family tree?? Sometimes the newer generations aren't as appreciative of hand-me downs. I have my Grandmothers sewing chest and have no one to pass it onto. My mother's Kenmore was a knee operated machine. Not hard to learn.

tessagin 06-18-2015 07:26 AM

I Googled images for a 15-90 in a cabinet. I not sure since no photo what your cabinet looks like. I have a 401 in a cabinet. Sometimes I put it back down when I want to use my 2662. Lid on top I can put the knee holder of th 401 up and out of the way. Then I just put the 2662 on top of the 401 and have at it. If you want to equalize/distribute the weight you can cut a piece of plywood to put on top of the cabinet. That is if the 301 won't work in the cabinet.

Rodney 06-18-2015 08:51 AM

The 15-90 is a great machine. Think bullet proof. They also have a bigger harp space than your 301 and they're great for FMQ. Extra bobbins are also dirt cheap compared to a 301.
Try the knee control. Personally I prefer a knee controller over a foot control. Also look at it, sometimes the knee control is actually a foot control in a special bracket that you can just unclip and use on the floor if you prefer.

If this doesn't talk you into keeping it is there another active sewer somewhere in your family that would like it to keep? Or possibly a grand child, niece, nephew, whatever that wants to learn? Maniac's idea was a good one. It would be a shame for it to leave your family after being in it for so long.
Rodney

Cari-in-Oly 06-18-2015 09:00 AM

If your 301 is a short bed, it's possible, need to see the cabinet. If the flip up doesn't have the "flap" on the right side and it has the front clips for a cradle, the 301 will fit.
If your 301 is a long bed then no it won't fit.

Cari

NJ Quilter 06-18-2015 10:32 AM

I'd be hard pressed to pass it up - room for it or not. Just because.

fatquarters 06-18-2015 11:27 AM

So thanks for the replys.

My 301 is a short bed....so maybe it will work. I looked at the machine but of course never took pictures, what was I thinking?

Cary, I does have a flap on the right side for sure! So that means it won't fit?

NJ, I was thinking the same thing, just because....

Rodney, I kind of looked, and I don't think the knee control will work as a foot control

Maniac, apparently there is no one that wants it, that is what I am being told.

The family had a garage sale last week and tried to sell it for $20, but no one took it home! Really!!! I am sure I will take it not because I want it, but because I can't stand the thought of this piece being sent to the trash!

Macybaby 06-18-2015 12:01 PM

I really love the 15-90's. I've only had a few though - but so far I like them better than the 91's. I get better speed control with the external motor - and I like that for FMQ.

Even though I have a long arm, I'll keep a 15-90/91 around for smaller FMQ and touchup work. You know- for when after you get done and take the quilt off the frame - and then while working on binding, you find a spot you missed! I'm sure the recipient of the quilt would never notice - but it still bothers me.

Veinurse 06-18-2015 01:51 PM

I learned to sew on my mom's Kenmore with a knee controller. So easy! My 201 came with the foot control mounted in the cabinet so you can sew either way. I would never change it. I love my15-91. Sorry, but you have to keep it, at least for a little while.

Cari-in-Oly 06-18-2015 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=fatquarters;7230940]So thanks for the replys.

My 301 is a short bed....so maybe it will work. I looked at the machine but of course never took pictures, what was I thinking?

Cary, I does have a flap on the right side for sure! So that means it won't fit?

I don't think so, but I'm not at home to check my cabinets. It's the cradle that gets put in the cabinet on the hinges, and the cabinet also needs to have front clips for the cradle. I don't think the cabinets with the flap on the right have a large enough opening or the front clips for a cradle.

Cari