Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Hand Crank Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/hand-crank-discussion-t210341.html)

SteveH 01-08-2013 12:29 PM

Thank you, I may take you up on that.

I am a big believer in Sun-Tzu and his concepts, so I will plan until I am reasonably sure of victory.

This drawing is the concept, now I just need to validate the concept against a number of machines, and then develop actual dimensions.

Fabrication should be the easy part.

When I get home tonight I can check the concept against my 28, 128, 66, 15-91, 201-2, and the White FR.

(I know the 15 and the 201 have bosses, but they might be worth checking against anyway)

miriam 01-08-2013 12:43 PM

The Singer 306 and Singer 319 I have are two that I would love to HC but the boss is offset from center. Is there a way to make an extension for them?

makitmama 01-08-2013 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is a vintage hand crank and a new one side by side. The new one does not have the protrusions on the base, and the 'leg' of the mounting bracket is longer.

J Miller 01-08-2013 12:56 PM

Miriam, I'm glad I didn't see that motor or I'd of made an offer for it. Been wanting one of them.
Gas pedal is cool too.

Joe

SteveH 01-08-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5771695)
The Singer 306 and Singer 319 I have are two that I would love to HC but the boss is offset from center. Is there a way to make an extension for them?

I would imagine that it could be done. Remember the idea that I am pursuing currently is to NOT use the boss at all.

Go ahead and shoot me a picture and I will add it to the "process".

SteveH 01-08-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by makitmama (Post 5771730)
here is a vintage hand crank and a new one side by side. The new one does not have the protrusions on the base, and the 'leg' of the mounting bracket is longer.

Any chance of getting the variance on those two dimensions? The distance from the back of the unit to the end of support arm.

SteveH 01-08-2013 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture is great! here is the "rub".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386737[/ATTACH]

makitmama 01-08-2013 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
it just slides over the wheel shaft. See my 66's below- so the bobbin winder is attached. A screw thru the top of the small
arch only.

BoJangles 01-08-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5771242)

I am planning to keep my thoughts mostly to myself until I have most of the details sorted out but I'll say that my idea includes inspiration from the "jackrabbit" (motor on spring-loaded base to contact treadles and run them as electrics) as well.

Nancy, can you shoot me a photo of the boss area on your New Home?

I will get out to my little sewing machine museum and shoot a photo soon.

Ok the "jackrabbit" motor as I remember it, is basically a friction pulley motor, which my little New Home has. I can see your train of thought - make a HC that works similar to a friction pulley motor. If you did figure something like that out, it wouldn't matter what size the HW is or the spacing of the spokes of the hand wheel. Interesting. If you could come up with something like a friction pulley system, even a smooth non-spoked wheel could be hand cranked. Of course, you still have to figure out a way to attach the whole contraption to the machine!

Nancy

miriam 01-08-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5771868)
I will get out to my little sewing machine museum and shoot a photo soon.

Ok the "jackrabbit" motor as I remember it, is basically a friction pulley motor, which my little New Home has. I can see your train of thought - make a HC that works similar to a friction pulley motor. If you did figure something like that out, it wouldn't matter what size the HW is or the spacing of the spokes of the hand wheel. Interesting. If you could come up with something like a friction pulley system, even a smooth non-spoked wheel could be hand cranked. Of course, you still have to figure out a way to attach the whole contraption to the machine!

Nancy

OH That would be wonderful. Attach it to the cabinet or the case? Hang it from the shaft - the shafts can be different. I should go pull some wheels photo - see what all the differences are. Maybe tomorrow - it is starting to get dark here already today.