Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   having a hand crank around is Handy! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/having-hand-crank-around-handy-t234185.html)

Redsquirrel 11-06-2013 09:03 PM

having a hand crank around is Handy!

Has anyone else here found that they use their hand crank more than any other machine for small sewing tasks around the house because its so Handy? I love not having to deal with plugging stuff in and dealing with cords. Just thread and crank.

Also, my 99 handcrank is my machine that I take to quilt guild meetings now. Its awesome for piecing and not having to deal with extension cords to my table. And its always a conversation starter.

miriam 11-07-2013 04:50 AM

I have one I take camping. Love it.

Vridar 11-07-2013 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel (Post 6391360)
...machine for small sewing tasks around the house because its so Handy?...

and sews nicely and accurately and easily. Yes, I use my 128 HC for all the little odd jobs. I recently made an ATV seat cover out of Naugahyde scraps for a friend totally with the HC 128 because it was set up with correct thread. Took less time to sew the seat than to set up one of the others.

nanna-up-north 11-07-2013 05:20 AM

I haven't done that much with the HC yet but I love how it sews and Yeah.... you don't have to find the plug and outlet. Love it!

miriam 11-07-2013 05:36 AM

I learned on an old HC until I sewed my finger - then I got to use Mom's FW - I didn't use one in years but I think it gave me good ability to feed things through - the left hand HAS to guide the fabric - I think it would be a good start for anybody wanting to learn to sew. Use a finger guard around the needle as a precaution.

Cecilia S. 11-07-2013 06:19 AM

The hand crank which I have (F&R) sits on the windowsill and is always at the ready for sewing up.... Paper! Further to a parallel thread now on Sewing Paper. ;-) A paper napkin or scrap always rests in it, and one can sew a few soothing stitches for fun any old time. ;-)

miriam 11-07-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6391791)
The hand crank which I have (F&R) sits on the windowsill and is always at the ready for sewing up.... Paper! Further to a parallel thread now on Sewing Paper. ;-) A paper napkin or scrap always rests in it, and one can sew a few soothing stitches for fun any old time. ;-)

Have you sewed paper bags? You can get some intricate designs - when you open them up put in a little battery operated light and turn off the lights. My GKs love doing that well I do, too. :cool:

Cecilia S. 11-07-2013 07:45 AM

Vridar? What happened?

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 6391593)
and sews nicely and accurately and easily. Yes, I use my 128 HC for all the little odd jobs. I recently made an ATV seat cover out of Naugahyde scraps for a friend totally with the HC 128 because it was set up with correct thread. Took less time to sew the seat than to set up one of the others.

Ron/Vridar - I am looking at your avatar... What happened? Did your dog eat your sewing machine?

Vridar 11-07-2013 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6392010)
Ron/Vridar - I am looking at your avatar... What happened? Did your dog eat your sewing machine?

No, had late volunteer morning glories I wanted to reward. Dogs are being picture hogs. Got other machines for later avatars. Thanks for noticing.

amcatanzaro 11-07-2013 09:47 AM

Speaking of HC and finger guards. Is there a good HC to buy new or should I be looking at ebay for old ones?

And who else has the type of finger guard Sew Classic has? They seem to be out of stock whenever I look.