Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
having a hand crank around is Handy! >

having a hand crank around is Handy!

having a hand crank around is Handy!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 PM

Default having a hand crank around is Handy!

Has anyone else here found that they use their hand crank more than any other machine for small sewing tasks around the house because its so Handy? I love not having to deal with plugging stuff in and dealing with cords. Just thread and crank.

Also, my 99 handcrank is my machine that I take to quilt guild meetings now. Its awesome for piecing and not having to deal with extension cords to my table. And its always a conversation starter.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I have one I take camping. Love it.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
...machine for small sewing tasks around the house because its so Handy?...
and sews nicely and accurately and easily. Yes, I use my 128 HC for all the little odd jobs. I recently made an ATV seat cover out of Naugahyde scraps for a friend totally with the HC 128 because it was set up with correct thread. Took less time to sew the seat than to set up one of the others.

Last edited by Vridar; 11-07-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 AM

I haven't done that much with the HC yet but I love how it sews and Yeah.... you don't have to find the plug and outlet. Love it!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I learned on an old HC until I sewed my finger - then I got to use Mom's FW - I didn't use one in years but I think it gave me good ability to feed things through - the left hand HAS to guide the fabric - I think it would be a good start for anybody wanting to learn to sew. Use a finger guard around the needle as a precaution.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 AM

The hand crank which I have (F&R) sits on the windowsill and is always at the ready for sewing up.... Paper! Further to a parallel thread now on Sewing Paper. ;-) A paper napkin or scrap always rests in it, and one can sew a few soothing stitches for fun any old time. ;-)
Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
The hand crank which I have (F&R) sits on the windowsill and is always at the ready for sewing up.... Paper! Further to a parallel thread now on Sewing Paper. ;-) A paper napkin or scrap always rests in it, and one can sew a few soothing stitches for fun any old time. ;-)
Have you sewed paper bags? You can get some intricate designs - when you open them up put in a little battery operated light and turn off the lights. My GKs love doing that well I do, too.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Vridar? What happened?

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
and sews nicely and accurately and easily. Yes, I use my 128 HC for all the little odd jobs. I recently made an ATV seat cover out of Naugahyde scraps for a friend totally with the HC 128 because it was set up with correct thread. Took less time to sew the seat than to set up one of the others.
Ron/Vridar - I am looking at your avatar... What happened? Did your dog eat your sewing machine?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Ron/Vridar - I am looking at your avatar... What happened? Did your dog eat your sewing machine?
No, had late volunteer morning glories I wanted to reward. Dogs are being picture hogs. Got other machines for later avatars. Thanks for noticing.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Speaking of HC and finger guards. Is there a good HC to buy new or should I be looking at ebay for old ones?

And who else has the type of finger guard Sew Classic has? They seem to be out of stock whenever I look.