Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help me pick a machine for my SIL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-me-pick-machine-my-sil-t192726.html)

oldtnquiltinglady 06-26-2012 12:30 PM

I know the feeling on giving away a sewing machine---I think I might prefer giving away one of my grandkids--especially now that they're all teenagers.....

xxxxxxxxxx 06-26-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5318085)
SIL finally answered us. Best we can get out of her is she wants a good older solid machine with easily replaced parts if needed. Doesn't have to be a ZZ but does have to have reverse. And has to use low shank attachments and accessories.

So I'm thinking of a 15 or later 66.

Also turns out she's got quite a few machines so she knows where to go to get them. I didn't know that till last night. If I see something she might be interested in I'll tell her.

Joe

Thinking maybe you better go dig in her stash pile

jlhmnj 06-26-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5318542)
Jon,

Shssssss, don't tell anyone, I have 5 66s. 2 66-4 Red Eyes, 1 66-18 crinkle, 1 66-16 cabinet, 1 66-4(?) motorized ex treadle machine with no case .... yet.

Not sure I want to "give" any of them to her at this point. We'll see.

Joe

Sorry Joe,

Does she look through the QB?

Should have used "trade" instead of "give". WW for a 66 would be alright if in half decent shape.

Jon

J Miller 06-26-2012 05:59 PM

notsureif,

I'm not sure that would be safe, she just might do me harm.

Jon,

We don't think so. We've deliberately avoided any mention of it.
I'd rather have a 66 than a WW. They are more useful to me. But she doesn't know I was thinking of trading so I'm safe as long as we keep our yaps shut and she isn't reading here.

Joe

xxxxxxxxxx 06-26-2012 06:07 PM

:thumbup: LOL.. yep, I have a friend, she'll take any machine I let her have, BUT look at hers side ways and your taking your life in your hands...

miriam 06-27-2012 02:52 AM

Joe, there are lots of really good Kenmore machines from the 1970s out there - all metal and zz and maybe a few other stitches. Cheap and great machines. There are some pretty cool Japanese machines, White, lots of really nice older zz machines out there that would treadle if they were given a chance.

J Miller 06-27-2012 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5319792)
Joe, there are lots of really good Kenmore machines from the 1970s out there - all metal and zz and maybe a few other stitches. Cheap and great machines. There are some pretty cool Japanese machines, White, lots of really nice older zz machines out there that would treadle if they were given a chance.

Yep, there sure is. I have several right now and don't want my SIL to hear about them. Least wise not till I get all I wa ........ 'er need. :)

Joe

purplefiend 06-27-2012 07:11 PM

Joe,
I love my Singer 237, used to be electric, did a bit of surgery..er..removals, now its a treadle.

Christine- 07-01-2012 01:53 AM

I bought a 1942 Singer 66-16 yesterday (thanks Joe for helping me identify her!) and I'm in love. The cabinet is lovely! The only drawback was finding the box of attachments were all high shank and this machine needs low shank. But at least I have a low shank all-purpose and a zipper foot that will fit her!

I'll sell my 15-91 centennial to make room for her. Hate to say goodbye to her though, she's been so good to me!

miriam 07-01-2012 04:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one that will also treadle...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]345796[/ATTACH]