Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help needed with White treadle cabinet mechanism (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-needed-white-treadle-cabinet-mechanism-t274801.html)

PatriciaPf 01-21-2016 12:27 PM

Help needed with White treadle cabinet mechanism

This 1909 mission style cabinet has a mechanism that lowers the machine head when the top is folded up. I dropped a bobbin inside and turned the knob on the right front edge of the machine thinking I could then tilt the head back and find the offending bobbin. Right. I can tilt the head back now, but loosening that knob/nut disconnected a spring inside and all five parts are loose. Without these things connected I cannot lower the head in its unsecured state. I can't figure out the best way to reach the area to put them back together, nor am I sure the path the long spring should take from the opposite side. If anyone knows the secret or can point me to an assembly diagram, I will be most grateful. I am guessing the cabinet may have to be turned on its side, but I am not sure, and really don't know the correct way to reassemble those 5 parts, not counting the spring. If I'd thought it through, the bobbin probably would have fallen out when the machine was closed....I just love hindsight.
Pat

ErgoTiger 01-21-2016 02:44 PM

Anyway you can take a few pics?

PatriciaPf 01-21-2016 04:12 PM

I'll try to get some up soon.

DonnaMiller 01-21-2016 04:23 PM

Can you loosen the screws on the hinges and remove the Head? That should allow you to get the bobbin out. If not, don't hurt yourself with a loose machine.

PatriciaPf 01-21-2016 08:10 PM

I tried lowering and tilting the head part way and the bobbin fell out along with two small flanged washers. The aforementioned knob had a strange-looking flat hook screwed into it from beneath and I think the end of the spring was attached to it. We will take pictures tomorrow. 'Tis a mystery!

PatriciaPf 01-24-2016 02:38 PM

Pictures here.

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]541013[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541014[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541015[/ATTACH]There is a picture of the long spring, but it won't upload. The spring is hanging down in the back. Wow! Looks like I have some housekeeping to do on the underside.

PatriciaPf 01-24-2016 02:45 PM

Here is another picture.

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I unscrewed, not knowing what was underneath.[ATTACH=CONFIG]541018[/ATTACH]

PatriciaPf 01-24-2016 02:48 PM

Picture three

1 Attachment(s)
Sum of loose parts. Can't determine where the flanged washers go.[ATTACH=CONFIG]541019[/ATTACH]
Another intact White sewing machine cabinet in working condition may show how this is set up. Some later machines show a lever, not this knob, while earlier ones show nothing.

ErgoTiger 01-26-2016 12:04 PM

In the pic in post 6, are those barings or just shims?

As for those rods, are those bronze, in post pic 6? As for post pic 7, could this hook looking piece clasp to the cabinet, to sucure the machine frame?

PatriciaPf 01-26-2016 07:15 PM

I don't think they are bronze; just steel that needs a good cleaning. The hook probably should serve to keep the machine secure when it is lowered into the cabinet. Right now it is loose. I think the spring was attached to it, but I don't know what path to take the spring now that it is detached.