Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help with a Touch and Sew 626 please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-touch-sew-626-please-t318131.html)

KenmoreGal2 05-04-2022 04:53 AM

Help with a Touch and Sew 626 please

I rescued a 626 from the curb (in a cabinet!) and found a taker on Freecycle. It can go to a woman whose Grandma's machine just broke. Two problems, I hope you can help me with one. First problem is there is no cord or foot pedal but Grandma hopes to use the one from her broken machine, also a Singer. This lack of power hampers my ability to fully test the machine though.

Big problem is I can't get the needle to take up the bobbin thread. I've never used a drop in bobbin and these are extra funny because they wind in place. So I hope it's user error because otherwise the machine seems fine. It's clean inside, all the levers work and I oiled it.

I threaded the machine according to the manual. I had to hand wind a bobbin (because there no power cord) so it's not very full. Maybe that's the issue? I replaced the bobbin according to the manual but the needle is nowhere near the bobbin thread to pick it up. I can't figure what I'm doing wrong.

Any help here? Thanks!!

bkay 05-04-2022 05:25 AM

Hey! Nice to hear from you!

Have you checked to see if it has metal or plastic gears? My understanding is that the 626 may have either. I have no first hand knowledge if that, but I've heard it. If the gears are shattered, you're wasting your time. There is a gear right under the bobbin that controls the bobbin winder. If the machine has a bottom cover, remove it and you can see the gear. That will tell you whether it's worth messing with.

I'll dig out my old T&S this afternoon, and try to recreate your problem. I'll also check to see if I have an extra power cord. (It's unlikely the cord she has will work unless it's from a T&S.)

bkay

KenmoreGal2 05-04-2022 05:26 AM

Thanks. I'll check right now.

KenmoreGal2 05-04-2022 05:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Plastic gears but they seem fine. I rotated them with a toothpick.

I also took pics of the bobbin area. The lever on the right hand side of the bed that allows me to remove the throat plate is not moving so I can't remove it. Hopefully I don't have to.

Thanks!! I still think it's user error. I can't believe how different this machine is from my Kenmores.

KenmoreGal2 05-04-2022 05:45 AM

Where's the belt for example? Does this machine not have a belt? As I posted on another site, I thought I was pretty competent with old machines but now I've been brought down a couple of notches!

FoggyButFocused 05-04-2022 06:33 AM

Did you try using the bobbin winder on a different machine? Also, is there a top and bottom for the bobbin? My daughters machine has a definite top and bottom for the bobbin. They are different shapes, so try flipping it upside down and make sure the thread is coming off the bobbin in the right direction.

My gut tells me the timing is out, but I don't know how to check it on a Touch & Sew.

KenmoreGal2 05-04-2022 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by FoggyButFocused (Post 8550301)
Did you try using the bobbin winder on a different machine? Also, is there a top and bottom for the bobbin? My daughters machine has a definite top and bottom for the bobbin. They are different shapes, so try flipping it upside down and make sure the thread is coming off the bobbin in the right direction.

My gut tells me the timing is out, but I don't know how to check it on a Touch & Sew.

This machine has the oddest plastic bobbins that definitely won't fit on my winder. I don't even think there's a hole on the bottom of the bobbin. So I wound some thread by hand. And there's a definite top, it's much larger than the other side. I did have the thread exiting the bobbin as per the manual. Well, not the first time. After I read the manual I had to unwind and rewind it, by hand again. Sigh.

The bobbin only goes in one way. Timing huh? That's not good. Thanks for your help.

OurWorkbench 05-04-2022 06:51 AM

It seems like I had problems with lifting the needle plate, but do not remember how I finally did. I couldn't find any notes. My 626 bobbin case was a mess and needed lot of patience to finally get it seated and timed.

According to https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/le...g-machine.aspx the power card for the 626 is Guaranteed to fit Singer Sewing Machine Models:
609, 620, 625, 626, 628, 629, 635, 635E, 635E3, 636, 638, 639, 640 Touch & Sew, 645, 646, 648, 649

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

KenmoreGal2 05-04-2022 06:55 AM

Thanks Janey. Fingers crossed this issue is user error. I'd gladly take the blame!!

The list of cords that will fit is wonderful! Thanks for that.

KenmoreGal2 05-04-2022 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I figured it out (with hubby's help) and I think the machine is trashed. But let me know.

I think the horizontal bevel gear is gone. We found a picture of it in a 626 service manual, that's how I learned the name of the part. I notice that when I turn the handwheel the bobbin area does not spin. However when I turn the gears right under the bobbin, it spins. We realized that the connection point between the handwheel and the bobbin area is missing, the horizontal bevel gear. I think maybe it was plastic and it's gone.

I've attached a close up of the probably missing horizontal bevel gear.

Did we get it right?