Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Here's how to fix "moving needlebar during bobbin winding" problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/heres-how-fix-moving-needlebar-during-bobbin-winding-problem-t190996.html)

J Miller 06-08-2012 05:18 AM

Rain,
Watched the first video yesterday, pretty darn good. I'd never seen the hand wheel taken off a 201 before. I'm used to the three finger washer. The 201 looks like the one in our 410A.
I've got the second video loading now, but at 11:09 I probably won't get to watch it all. I'm on dial up and it will take the rest of the morning to download.

Muv,

A suggestion for your Serata. Turn the hand wheel till the oil hole is up then pour in either (if you can get it) Hoppe's #9 gun solvent or a 50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Use an eye dropper and just put in a wee bit at a time.
The Hoppe's is mostly kerosene but will dissolve that old gunked up oil. The ATF/Acetone makes a wonderful penetrating oil. Stinks though and you'd have to make it yourself, but it does work.

Joe

Muv 06-08-2012 08:56 AM

Joe, don't forget that I am in England and that what you have there isn't necessarily the same as we have here. If I walked into our local hardware shop and asked for gun solvent I would get some rather strange looks.

I have already fed WD40 down the lubrication hole, I have yet to try a bit of paraffin, and I have already tried the hair dryer trick to try and get a bit of metal expansion. No joy yet. It can wait, I'm not going to bust my buttons over it.

miriam 06-08-2012 09:03 AM

paraffin??? what would that do?

J Miller 06-08-2012 10:45 AM

Muv,

Understood on the Hoppe's. There's got to be a penetrating oil product you can get in the UK that would work.

Joe

Muv 06-08-2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5274204)

Nothing, probably.

Vintage.Singers.NYC 06-08-2012 01:02 PM

At some point I've got to write an anti-WD40 entry. People often use this on sewing machines, and you definitely do not want to. While it seems to deliver good short-term results, over time it dries into a gummy consistency and does more harm than good.

jlhmnj 06-08-2012 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5274204)

AKA--- Kerosene

Muv 06-08-2012 01:49 PM

It's all right Rain, I know the limitations of WD40 - to be used sparingly, small areas only, cleaned off once it has done its job, fresh oil to be applied if necessary... Perhaps a pros and cons of products thread is called for.

Totally changing the subject, I've started a new thread about German machines because they get me jumping up and down in my seat with enthusiasm. Want to join in?

schuu6p 06-08-2012 02:05 PM

Rain, thank you very much for the video! That fixed the problem I had with my 15-91! Your video was very easy to follow.

Vintage.Singers.NYC 06-08-2012 03:56 PM

Hi Muv, I'd love to see the thread. But as I only truck with Singers, I'm afraid it's all up to you to provide the content!