Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How many sewing machines is to many? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-many-sewing-machines-many-t191689.html)

kitsykeel 06-13-2012 11:03 PM

Just picked up my 12th today. A 1972 Domestic, like brand new, for $16.00 in cabinet. I have a penchant for those in cabinets or maybe that is what I tend to find mostly. Anyway, as long as there is another wall with some space, I say go for it. Altough pretty soon I'll be running out of walls.

xxxxxxxxxx 06-13-2012 11:37 PM

until maybe 6 months ago I owned one , I now own 16 and have bought 20

when out ofg wall space , I found cabinet models are big enough to put a portable on, but then it's a good place for a plant also .. LOL.. you don't have to water a sewing machine very often

AshleyR 06-14-2012 02:24 AM

My husband found a Necchi for $15 yesterday. I went and tested it and it was worth $15 but I made myself walk away. I don't know why I torture myself!! I have 3 machines in the house, two of them are waiting on parts to run perfectly. I also have 2 in the graveyard.
I think my magic number seems to be 4. When I have 4, I feel like I need to get rid of one and right now, I'd love to sell my old Singer.
I'm afraid all our savings has gone to car repairs ($5000 in the past 2 months on 3 vehicles) and my son had an accident yesterday at summer camp and I can't *wait* to get that hospital bill! So, even tho I did have the $15 to buy old Necchi, now is not the time for her to come home with me.

sewred 06-14-2012 05:32 AM

I last counted that my husband and I have about 30 so No as long as you have room I don't think you can have too many! 80)

royllsister 06-14-2012 05:42 AM

One can never have too many; LOL !!!! Me?.. 13 + 3 toy size.... do I sew on all of them? Nope, lol. Does it matter? Nope.

lovelyl 06-14-2012 05:52 AM

You got a great deal. As to your question re: how many is to many. Hmmmm... not sure I understand the concept of having too many sewing machines...

Glenda m 06-14-2012 05:54 AM

I have 10 and have my eye on one at Goodwill. Hoping someone will buy it and remove the temtation. LOL

ppquilter 06-14-2012 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by royllsister (Post 5288268)
One can never have too many; LOL !!!! Me?.. 13 + 3 toy size.... do I sew on all of them? Nope, lol. Does it matter? Nope.

MORE IS BETTER, just keep repeating that...............
I just got home recently from an anniv. vacation (36 years) with 2 toy machines (now i have 50 little machines) and 2 full sized machines, one in a case and one in a cabnit. So now i have probably 30 plus full sized machines and 3 FW. got the 2 new full sized machines for $35, one is a Pfaff 130, blk in cabnit and other is an Adler,gr, made in West Germany. Will get them pics up soon in my albums. But I told DH I didn't have a Pfaff or Adler and price was sooooooo good!

SewExtremeSeams 06-14-2012 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by judy363905 (Post 5287178)
Don't you wish you could sew on two machines at one time LOL I still have my 830 Record from 1974 -- she still sews a great stitch... Enjoy your 730 Record

Judy in Phx, AZ

O, wouldn't that be wonderful to be able to sew on more than one at a time... why, I would get through my fabric stash in no time and be able to go buy more :D

I also have my Bernina Record 830 from about 1974. She has never failed me yet.

jennb 06-14-2012 08:36 AM

Well, I have a guest house on my property that, when we get it cleaned out (we just moved here a few months ago) will be my sewing studio. All of my sewing room has been packed up for the better part of a year now due to our move and remodeling etc going on here, and since that time I've acquired a serger, a treadle, a new industrial machine, 3 vintage (60's & 70's) machines, and a new embroidery machine. I already had 2 antique singers, a mid-arm, an embroidery machine, and 2 other machines...good thing my hubby loves me. :)