Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How much would you pay for this treadle? Need your help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-much-would-you-pay-treadle-need-your-help-t181814.html)

3TreeFrog 03-07-2012 07:47 PM

It's worth what you are willing to pay.

I hate it when people low ball the seller. It's obvious that the seller wants a certain amount, why try and take their bread and milk money?...Just saying, not trying to start anything.

Louise

Charlee 03-07-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog (Post 5040749)
It's worth what you are willing to pay.

I hate it when people low ball the seller. It's obvious that the seller wants a certain amount, why try and take their bread and milk money?...Just saying, not trying to start anything.

Louise

Without starting anything either, antique experts will tell you that a treadle machine in PRISTINE condition and a "standard" treadle cabinet is worth at best $150. None of these machines are particularly rare, they made thousands and in some cases, millions of them. The needles for some of these are more rare than the machines are.
And in some cases, it's the buyer that is giving up "bread and milk" money rather than the seller.....and there's no reason in the world to pay more than a machine is worth just to be magnanimous.

Pam Riggs 03-08-2012 07:15 AM

I would ask if she would take $40 and work from there. Its beautiful!

jlm5419 03-08-2012 09:59 AM

I have to agree with Charlee on the price issue. Many times, a seller will set a higher price to see if he/she can get it, but still be willing to come down. And I doubt there are many folks out there selling grandma's treadle to feed their babies.

JUNEC 03-08-2012 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey (Post 5036112)
Don't know anything about that particular machine but I think the cabinet alone is worth at least $50.

That what I was thinking - love those machines

frostiedee 03-08-2012 03:00 PM

I have a Brunswick treadle very hard to find needles for it. I don't know about parts.

callen 03-08-2012 07:15 PM

It really doesn't matter what WE would pay. It's how much you want it & really $75.00 is not that much for a machine & cabinet. They both look like they are in more than decent shape. If you are looking to invest your money - just think what the stock market is doing to our investments. If it makes you happy the price is not that bad.

jennifer winters 03-08-2012 08:12 PM

i would offer 50.00. if she don't take it then she don't want to part with it. i got my singer for 50.00 and had to put money into it for miss parts. good lucky and injoyed if you get it.

AngieS 04-08-2012 02:15 PM

I didn't get it. It's pretty but I got to thinking about where I would put it and chose not to worry about it. Thank you all for your comments. I wasn't wanting to low ball the person, I was just wondering what a good price would be. I've not ever bought a treadle before and am not sure what I would be willing to pay. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks.