Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How to remove dried masking tape from .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-remove-dried-masking-tape-t250698.html)

SteveH 07-24-2014 03:24 PM

I am not sure that there is much difference between baby oil and sewing machine oil

JudyTheSewer 07-24-2014 03:25 PM

I removed old, dried masking tape from the machine bed itself on a treadle 66 machine without any damage. Although I haven't had to remove dried tape from a wood cabinet I would try the same procedure since I haven't noticed any adverse affects of sewing machine oil on the cabinet wood. I soaked the tape with sewing machine oil and let it sit. Once the oil softened the tape I was able to scrape gently with my fingernail to remove all of the paper and goo. It did not harm the machine finish at all. I don't remember how long I soaked it but I wouldn't be surprised if I left the oil on it several days and worked on removing the tape slowly over several days of applying additional oil.

singerguy 07-24-2014 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom (Post 6816153)
Try baby oil, works great on removing pine tree pitch from hands and other things.

yes, just use oil. any oil for that matter. in fact i even will use cooking oil if that's the nearest to me. i've done this so many times. just need a lot of patience.

coopah 07-24-2014 05:22 PM

We use WD 40 to remove sticky goo. So far it's removed the goo left from prescription labels off the pill bottles. There have been other things, too, just can't remember. So far we haven't had any damage. Spray on, wipe off without waiting. May be worth a try. Hope you find something that works.

J Miller 07-24-2014 07:54 PM

Since I had some baby oil handy I used that. Let it soak for a bit and then used my fingernail to help it off. It came off with minimal damage. I can easily fix what damage is there with some Bri-Wax.

Joe

mlmack 07-25-2014 04:38 AM

I removed tape residue from a cabinet with WD40. Didn't harm the finish at all.

solstice3 07-25-2014 04:44 AM

I used rubbing alcohol. After I cleaned it up I switched to painters tape

J Miller 07-25-2014 06:25 AM

I never use tape on wood finishes. This was there from who knows when. My SIL who gave us the 9W-7 Treadle a couple years ago wanted one that used common components and had a back tack on it. We saw this 66-14 on on GW and she bid on it. Miriam was kind enough to pic it up for us and hold it till she trecked through IL and we could meet up with her.
I'm cleaning it up for my SIL. So far I've found very little this machine/cabinet will need. Just that piece of tape and some general cleaning and a new belt.

Joe

Christine- 07-25-2014 07:06 AM

Rubbing alcohol on shellac finishes isn't recommended. Thought I'd put that out there! :)

farmquilter 07-25-2014 07:41 AM

I have used peanut butter to remove labels, just keep the dogs away so they don't lick it off. It is thick to stay in place and has oil in it to loosen the label.