Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How to remove dried masking tape from .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-remove-dried-masking-tape-t250698.html)

J Miller 07-25-2014 08:23 AM

Peanut butter ........ I wish I'd seen this before I used the baby oil. I would have tried it.

Joe

cathyvv 07-25-2014 08:48 AM

Peanut butter? Just a thought that popped in my head when I read the post. The oil in peanut butter might loosen the tape enough to make it possible to gently scrape it off.

Mind you, I have no experience at this, so the idea may be wacko.

Stitchit123 07-25-2014 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6815948)
No, I haven't tried anything yet. We just got the machine home last night and in the house a little bit ago.

I know of many things that will take it off, but I'm paranoid about damaging the original finish. It's still in really nice shape.

Joe

I took ice cubes and froze the residue and used a plastic scraper to remove the frozen glue - it took a while but it all came off without any damage. You could also use those lunch box freezer packs. I recently acquired an old wooden desk -the masking tape had been on there so long that it turned to dust as I was removing it-of course the gluey crap stayed. Using any kind of new cleaning chemicals on old varnish can and will ruin the original finish 99 times out of a 100. This tip comes from a book my MIL gave me and if you don't have one put it on your list of GottaGet's--- Household Hints from Heloise

madamekelly 07-25-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6815971)
not alcohol, may soften finish if shellac. I would see if I could roughen it a little and then WD-40 or sm oil or liquid wrench. Or goo-gone but not the concentrated spray.

I have good luck with plain old mineral oil. Takes a little rubbing, but it works and no chemicals to be wary of.

Milli 07-25-2014 09:10 AM

Olive oil!

singerguy 07-25-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Milli (Post 6817108)
Olive oil!

that will work also but olive oil is more expensive so I just use canola oil or any cooking oil.

matraina 07-25-2014 04:01 PM

Goo B Gone.

mjhaess 07-26-2014 06:59 AM

Wd 40 works well...

miriam 07-26-2014 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by coopah (Post 6816297)
We use WD 40 to remove sticky goo. So far it's removed the goo left from prescription labels off the pill bottles. There have been other things, too, just can't remember. So far we haven't had any damage. Spray on, wipe off without waiting. May be worth a try. Hope you find something that works.

Pill bottle does not equal sewing machine table or sewing machine

Marysewfun 07-26-2014 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6815971)
not alcohol, may soften finish if shellac. I would see if I could roughen it a little and then WD-40 or sm oil or liquid wrench. Or goo-gone but not the concentrated spray.

My hubby reaches for the WD-40 in just about any instance - he buys it by the big gallon-type bottle. I laugh at him when he grabs it but he hasn't disappointed me yet! :-)

Marysewfun