Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How to start treadling in the right direction (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-start-treadling-right-direction-t177037.html)

jeanharville 01-26-2012 09:48 AM

How to start treadling in the right direction

I'm having a hard time learning to start treadling in the forward direction. Is there a right position for the treadle to be in or a certain way/order to use my feet? Whatever I'm doing makes the sewing go in reverse. If any of you have some tips or techniques you use to smoothly start sewing on your treadle, please share them with me.

Thanks, jean

Theresse J 01-26-2012 11:40 AM

Take a hold of the wheel- beside you, pull it forward. Not the treadle wheel, The wheel will be felt by the feet, the direction of the forward thrust to rock the peddle. It is easer to use both feet. I'm speaking from memory, I learned on a treadle. At 13 brings back memories. Theresse

jeanharville 01-27-2012 09:28 AM

Theresse, your advice has helped a lot. I'm still having trouble starting from a dead stop. I'm trying to fingure out if there is an optimal position to leave the treadle so that the next start will be easier. If any of you who treadle often have and tips they would be greatly appreciated. I am continuing to practice with no thread in the bobbin or top. I'm determined to master this. Thanks for any help.
jean

Up North 01-27-2012 09:49 AM

To start again you have to remember the whyat your machine goes some you pull the wheel towards you some push it away from you once you get it it is easy.

jeanharville 01-27-2012 10:05 AM

Up North, thanks for the encouraging words. I am getting a little smoother and am paying close attention to the treadle. I have another question. It seems like the treadle might be a little tight. Do I need to tighten the belt or loosen it?

Up North 01-27-2012 10:10 AM

If it is tight I would think you have to loosen it a bit

misseva 01-27-2012 10:56 AM

I was having trouble until I changed from my 'rocker' type tennis shoew to my slip on house shoes. I think the heel was too high for me to treadle. Made a big difference when I went to flat soled shoes. And I always start out turning the hand wheel todard me.

jeanharville 01-27-2012 12:03 PM

Well, I hate to admit to being an idiot, but the reason the treadle felt a little tight was that I had the bobbin winder engaged. As soon as I released it, the treadle worked great. I've always thought I was born about 100 years too late, but I doubt that I could have managed all the manual dexterity those times called for; not to mention the heavy hard work. But I do sometimes day-dream about quilting bees and church "dinners on the ground". I can barely remember them. But those were still happening in the 40s in rural Arkansas where I was raised.

jeanharville 01-27-2012 12:08 PM

Misseva, your right about the shoes. I first had on tennis shoes. I took those off and just used bare feet and I could feel the relationship between the hand wheel on top and the treadle below thanks to theresse's advice. But that was cold and a little uncomfortable, so I slipped my house shoes on and that seems to work OK. Thanks for mentioning it.

Tartan 01-27-2012 12:12 PM

I does treadle easier with the bobbin winder away from the wheel.:) I always start the motion with a push/pull of the hand wheel to start the right motion. I keep the toe of my left foot on the front of the treadle shelf and part of my right foot at the top or back of the shelf. Once you get the motion down you can make it fly. Good luck and keep treadling!