Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I brought home one for repair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-brought-home-one-repair-t248487.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 06-15-2014 06:31 AM

I brought home one for repair

Someone finally talked me into it. I knew it would happen eventually. Other people have mentioned their machines in hopes I do repair and I have waived them off.

I was checking out the yard sales yesterday and as usual asking about sewing machines just in case one was hidden from sight. The homeowner said yes! they had a machine but they were having troubles with it, and the conversation continued as I explained I take them working or not if the price is right. Somehow it moved to her wanting me to fix her machine. It felt awkward and I explained I am new to this hobby and generally don't do that but she said if I fix it she'll pay me and if I don't then keep it. Well, ok. When she found the box she'd put it into, I saw it was a Necchi. It had been so long since she had the problem she couldn't remember what it was.

I got it home and found it missing the bobbin case, the hook and other underpinnings to the bobbin area so I let her know and she is looking for those.

In the meantime, I cleaned and oiled it and found parts in my stash for it. I had it straight stitching just fine last night so will run the rest of the patterns and see how that goes.

Since we never talked price and now I am likely adding in parts what would be fair to charge her? This is a first for me. I don't want to go too high and I wouldn't want to go too low in case she tells friends and they want help too.

Does everyone eventually get asked to repair machines?

mlmack 06-15-2014 06:49 AM

Around here, the sewing machine shops get around $90 to refurbish a machine, parts not included. That usually includes cleaning, lubricating, and checking timing. Then again, they are professionals.

What model of Necchi is it?

Mrs. SewNSew 06-15-2014 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I won't be calibrating each and every little part unless something appears to be off kilter. Getting it running smoothly and delivering a good stitch is primary. It's a Necchi 522.

Candace 06-15-2014 09:13 AM

Yikes, it's never a good idea to take on a job without a verbal understanding of cost or price. You're kind of stuck in a pickle now..hope you can manage to at least get some $ for your time . At the least, it will be a lesson learned?

Mrs. SewNSew 06-15-2014 10:31 AM

Candace, I am definitely a card carrying member of the learn as you go school. Fortunately, I didn't have to put in tons of time and it appears the issues are already solved. I just ran all the patterns without a problem. Last night when I spoke with her and asked her to look for the missing parts she asked if maybe they could be bought on-line so I am under the impression she is open to paying for parts.

As it worked out I had parts here that work in the machine. Most of the work was cleaning and oiling with minor adjustment. I'll keep it a few days just to be sure it is working correctly, but at least at this time I don't have a huge investment in time. If she is not open to paying me for MY parts, I could easily remove them. ;)

I really don't think that is going to be a problem though. I think she just wants to get her machine working again.

Mrs. SewNSew 06-15-2014 10:32 AM

Duplicate!

Candace 06-15-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6759771)
Candace, I am definitely a card carrying member of the learn as you go school.

Me too!!!!

J Miller 06-15-2014 01:11 PM

I set a charge rate like this.

$35.00 for a machine that just needs cleaned and serviced with maybe a couple adjustments.
~Up to;
$65.00 for one that needs major cleaning, servicing, and lots of work.
~Then;
$Price Determined On Inspection for one that needs lots of repair and fixing in addition to cleaning and servicing.

All parts are extra of course.

I figure I'll make out decent for most of them, and will probably loose my shirt on some. Hopefully it will balance out in the end.

Joe

Mrs. SewNSew 06-15-2014 04:03 PM

Thanks Joe! That's nice to hear some figures and how you determine them. Because this is the first machine I have agreed to see for repair, I had no idea what to say. Once the machine is ready to return I want to have an idea of what I want for the job.

wilburness 06-15-2014 05:36 PM

$74.99 for a cleaning here in madison. this is what I paid for my fancy babylock to have it cleaned a couple of months ago. no repairs.
I like joes answer and his pricing, sounds reasonable. call around to any local shops and see what the going rate is. you may want to undercut a little, due to your inexperience. parts... I would again call or go online and see what they would cost and this is what you would charge her.
make a couple of bucks. then you can buy another machine. hehehe