Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I finally found a 301, YEAH (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-finally-found-301-yeah-t220480.html)

Caroline S 05-01-2013 03:53 PM

I finally found a 301, YEAH

4 Attachment(s)
I visited my local Goodwill yesterday with the goal of finding some 100% cotton sheets for a quilt project. While on my way to the linens area I passed the area where sewing machines are kept. At the end of the row was a trapezoidal grass covered case. WHOA, I knew that case was for a Singer 301. I popped the latches, peaked inside and sure enough it was a mocha 301. In my excitement I did not even check to see if the foot controller or bobbin case were with the machine. I did find the sheets I needed.LOL

This Singer 301 has to be the dirtiest machine I have purchased. She has apparently had a lot of use, the lint and dust shows that. This morning she came out of the case for oiling and greasing. The foot controller needs to be rewired but I used one from one of the Featherweights. It took me about 2 hours to clean the felted lint from around the bobbin case and feed dogs. I have never seen a bobbin case and race with hardened oil and dirt like this one.

I replaced the needle, plugged her in and gave her a test drive. What an wonderful sewing machine! I can see why people love these sewing machines. I have named her Millie for my favorite aunt. Oh, by the way I paid $25 for her, a real score. Her serial number is A175943.

kitsykeel 05-01-2013 03:59 PM

You lucky dog. That is the one machine I am wanting so badly I can taste it. When I find one I will forget all about my moratorium on buying any more vintage machines for a while.

JudyTheSewer 05-01-2013 04:05 PM

Congratulations! You got a real good deal which is always nice. I really enjoyed looking at the photos you posted. Millie looks wonderful!!! Yea!!!

Noel 05-01-2013 04:57 PM

Gee, that looks awfully dirty. Gonna take a lot of work. You should probably just sell it to me... Congrats!

Briarberry 05-01-2013 05:14 PM

What a find, you will love her. Mine looks just like yours and it is my favourite machine. I like that it is so light and easy to take to quilting class.

Daylesewblessed 05-01-2013 05:19 PM

Congratulations! That machine went to the right home -- where it will be cleaned up and loved.

I have a black 301 in my laundry room purchased for about the same price last summer, and I haven't started cleaning it up yet. It had been stored in a shed. In this part of Texas, the dirt blows so much that nothing stored in a shed will escape it.

Prim Quilts 05-01-2013 05:24 PM

Congratulations! I love my 301A. It was also the dirtiest machine I have brought home. I paid $10 for mine at a thrift store. Mine is also my quietest machine.

SewExtremeSeams 05-01-2013 05:33 PM

Congratulations. You will love her. What's extra nice is that everything that the 301 uses can be used on your FW like bobbins, needles, etc. Have fun.

DanofNJ 05-01-2013 06:39 PM

Super Nice, Enjoy!!!

mo-rie 05-01-2013 07:07 PM

So excited for you! I know the feeling you had as mine was a GW find too. You got a bargain! They wanted $129 for mine in a cabinet but went to half when I pointed out the BC was missing. I love her! One thing is for sure, 301's are like potato chips: one is not enough. I want a long-bed now. It never stops!