Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I finally found a 301, YEAH

I finally found a 301, YEAH

I visited my local Goodwill yesterday with the goal of finding some 100% cotton sheets for a quilt project. While on my way to the linens area I passed the area where sewing machines are kept. At the end of the row was a trapezoidal grass covered case. WHOA, I knew that case was for a Singer 301. I popped the latches, peaked inside and sure enough it was a mocha 301. In my excitement I did not even check to see if the foot controller or bobbin case were with the machine. I did find the sheets I needed.LOL

This Singer 301 has to be the dirtiest machine I have purchased. She has apparently had a lot of use, the lint and dust shows that. This morning she came out of the case for oiling and greasing. The foot controller needs to be rewired but I used one from one of the Featherweights. It took me about 2 hours to clean the felted lint from around the bobbin case and feed dogs. I have never seen a bobbin case and race with hardened oil and dirt like this one.

I replaced the needle, plugged her in and gave her a test drive. What an wonderful sewing machine! I can see why people love these sewing machines. I have named her Millie for my favorite aunt. Oh, by the way I paid $25 for her, a real score. Her serial number is A175943.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet Caroline

You lucky dog. That is the one machine I am wanting so badly I can taste it. When I find one I will forget all about my moratorium on buying any more vintage machines for a while.
    Kitsy

Congratulations! You got a real good deal which is always nice. I really enjoyed looking at the photos you posted. Millie looks wonderful!!! Yea!!!

Gee, that looks awfully dirty. Gonna take a lot of work. You should probably just sell it to me... Congrats!

What a find, you will love her. Mine looks just like yours and it is my favourite machine. I like that it is so light and easy to take to quilting class.

Congratulations! That machine went to the right home -- where it will be cleaned up and loved.

I have a black 301 in my laundry room purchased for about the same price last summer, and I haven't started cleaning it up yet. It had been stored in a shed. In this part of Texas, the dirt blows so much that nothing stored in a shed will escape it.

Congratulations! I love my 301A. It was also the dirtiest machine I have brought home. I paid $10 for mine at a thrift store. Mine is also my quietest machine.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations. You will love her. What's extra nice is that everything that the 301 uses can be used on your FW like bobbins, needles, etc. Have fun.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Super Nice, Enjoy!!!

So excited for you! I know the feeling you had as mine was a GW find too. You got a bargain! They wanted $129 for mine in a cabinet but went to half when I pointed out the BC was missing. I love her! One thing is for sure, 301's are like potato chips: one is not enough. I want a long-bed now. It never stops!

Congrulations!!!! Isn't it a thrill to find one!

Wonderfull ! Enjoy !

Awesome -- Love my 301A two tone. She's my main squeeze...Just finished a two quilts and FMQ'd both of them....love love love her, but gotta get the foot controller rewired or she gets too hot to handle! lol

Thanks everyone for your comments. I had placed myself on the NO MORE SEWING MACHINES moratorium . But of course one has to make an exception for a most wanted sewing machine.

I forgot to take photos of the attachments and button holer she came with. No, Noel, this one is a keeper. But if I find another one I will think of you.

I do have a question about the 2 prong plug on the pillar side under the regular plug. What was it used for?
    Name:  Singer 301 Attachments 001.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  75.9 KB

It pays to dump everything out of the attachments box, it even had the original screwdriver! Does anyone have an idea as to what the purpose of the two metal tabs at the botton of this photo are?
    Name:  Singer 301 Attachments 002.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  82.8 KB
    Sweet Caroline

Terrific find!! Glad you were able to get her cleaned up and sewing. You will enjoy sewing on her! Does she have a name yet-?
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
    Terrific find!! Glad you were able to get her cleaned up and sewing. You will enjoy sewing on her! Does she have a name yet-?
    Yes, her name is Millie for my favorite aunt Mildred, AKA Millie
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by mo-rie View Post
    One thing is for sure, 301's are like potato chips: one is not enough. I want a long-bed now. It never stops!
    LOL! I have 3 301's now! I can't seem to leave them there if they are a good price! My best find was a LB mocha in the case with foot control, manual and attachements for $4.99 at a Value Village. They are sweet machines!

I think the two metal tabs may be the broken halves of an oil can bracket?

Blog Entries
    You scored really BIG!!!!
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Name:  100-1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  87.8 KB The lower plug is where the foot control goes. The 301 has a 2-piece cord set.

Those black pieces are indeed parts of an oil can bracket in either a case or cabinet. But they broke off, so just toss them.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your score. You really will love your machine. My black long bed 301 is my go to for most of my sewing. And, she is easy to transport!! Lucky you got the case too. Enjoy!!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I am so happy for you!!! I'd like to find one at that price too. The ones I've seen on craigslist are all over $100.00, a little pricy for me.

Lucky girl - you'll be glad you have her - dirt and all !

Quote Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
    The lower plug is where the foot control goes. The 301 has a 2-piece cord set.

Those black pieces are indeed parts of an oil can bracket in either a case or cabinet. But they broke off, so just toss them.
    Strangely, I have one with a two piece (single lead) cord set, and one with a single piece (double lead) cord set, both look to be set up that way from the factory.

I wonder if the plug in Caroline's is wired so that it's straight through, and then the double lead, single cord works...
    I've never seen one cut like that, and I always wondered what would happen if you plugged a double lead cord set into a machine that wants the two cords.

ETA: If the middle piece of that broken bracket is still screwed on to the case, I would remove it, so you don't cut yourself on the jagged edges, or scratch your baby.

ArchaicArcane: I have a beige 301a and a black 301. One of them has the 2 cords and the other has the single cord. I have used cords from both on each of them. Mine are interchangeable and I think they all are.
    MO Quilter

Love, love, love my 301-A! I found her in a little resale shop-didn't know what was inside that strange shaped cabinet and asked the gentleman if he would open it so I could see the machine? Saw the 301A and asked him if he would put it inmy van please? It was $55.00. They sew so nice and quiet. Congratulatons on your find.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast