I finally found a 301, YEAH

Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 PM

I am so happy for you!!! I'd like to find one at that price too. The ones I've seen on craigslist are all over $100.00, a little pricy for me.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Lucky girl - you'll be glad you have her - dirt and all !
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
The lower plug is where the foot control goes. The 301 has a 2-piece cord set.

Those black pieces are indeed parts of an oil can bracket in either a case or cabinet. But they broke off, so just toss them.
Strangely, I have one with a two piece (single lead) cord set, and one with a single piece (double lead) cord set, both look to be set up that way from the factory.

I wonder if the plug in Caroline's is wired so that it's straight through, and then the double lead, single cord works...
I've never seen one cut like that, and I always wondered what would happen if you plugged a double lead cord set into a machine that wants the two cords.

ETA: If the middle piece of that broken bracket is still screwed on to the case, I would remove it, so you don't cut yourself on the jagged edges, or scratch your baby.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:26 AM

ArchaicArcane: I have a beige 301a and a black 301. One of them has the 2 cords and the other has the single cord. I have used cords from both on each of them. Mine are interchangeable and I think they all are.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 AM

Love, love, love my 301-A! I found her in a little resale shop-didn't know what was inside that strange shaped cabinet and asked the gentleman if he would open it so I could see the machine? Saw the 301A and asked him if he would put it inmy van please? It was $55.00. They sew so nice and quiet. Congratulatons on your find.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 AM

Default How Not To Rewire a Terminal Plug

I wondered why the light did not work with the cord set that came with the sewing machine but worked with one of my Featherweight cord sets. So I decided to take apart the old one to do a look see.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411476[/ATTACH]
Original Featherweight Terminal Plug

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411475[/ATTACH]
Millie's nasty looking re-wired terminal plug
AND, the wire is HPN Heater Cord 16/2. I may end up giving Millie a new electronic foot controller.Meanwhile she will be using her little sister's controller.
Attached Thumbnails 301-electrical-002.jpg   301-electrical-006.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by schuu6p View Post
ArchaicArcane: I have a beige 301a and a black 301. One of them has the 2 cords and the other has the single cord. I have used cords from both on each of them. Mine are interchangeable and I think they all are.
That's really good to know. Thanks! I never tried because I didn't know if harm would come to the machines.

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I wondered why the light did not work with the cord set that came with the sewing machine but worked with one of my Featherweight cord sets. So I decided to take apart the old one to do a look see.

AND, the wire is HPN Heater Cord 16/2. I may end up giving Millie a new electronic foot controller.Meanwhile she will be using her little sister's controller.
You can rewire those bakelight connectors. I've done a few, but you have to get the knots and the bends just right, so it can be time consuming. The first one took me 2 hours, the second was 20 minutes.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM

OK Tammi, if it took you 2 hours to rewire the first one, it would take me twice as long. I came up with another fix, the foot controller that came with my 306m. I think the brown color works well with the mocha color.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411566[/ATTACH]

I will save the connector another day when it rains again. Meanwhile we are having a glorious day of sunshine, with more to come this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails 301-borrows-306m-001.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
OK Tammi, if it took you 2 hours to rewire the first one, it would take me twice as long. I came up with another fix, the foot controller that came with my 306m. I think the brown color works well with the mocha color.

I will save the connector another day when it rains again. Meanwhile we are having a glorious day of sunshine, with more to come this weekend.
LOL! no,.. just don't make the silly mistakes I was making - get it all done up and then realise,.. ugh, I forgot to thread the bakelite connector on first, or skewering yourself with the old nasty wire, or the new wire, tying the knots in the wrong place, etc.

The wire they used "Back then" was aluminum wire, you can use a thinner wire than what the gauge of aluminum was,.. Rain says 18 gauge in his motor wiring tutorial: http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/2011/12/how...rt-1-wire.html, so the 16 ga wire you have, which is thicker, should be fine, it's probably just wired messily, and possibly the light isn't on the 2 outside posts. One of these days I'll have to do a tutorial on how to do those connectors.

That said, that pedal you have from the 306, does it say solid state or Electronic on it? That's the best case scenario,... it wouldn't get hot.

And I totally agree, get outside and enjoy the weather. Absorb some vitamin D. We're supposed to get some nice weather for the next 3 or 4 days as well. (Though on Monday they said light flurries on the radio while DH was driving in a whiteout that gave us 4 - 6 inches of the white s....tuff, so they may not know what they're talking about. ) I noticed my rhubarb is coming up, and the strawberries are spreading even further this year already. I need to see if the ground is thawed enough to till before the berries spread too far to make it easy. That and raking the yard to get rid of the snow mold is the extent of my weekend.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM

She is a Dandy! Little dirty, but she will clean up just fine. I love mine. Opal and Esther! My 301 twins