View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Caroline S

Default I finally found a 301, YEAH

I visited my local Goodwill yesterday with the goal of finding some 100% cotton sheets for a quilt project. While on my way to the linens area I passed the area where sewing machines are kept. At the end of the row was a trapezoidal grass covered case. WHOA, I knew that case was for a Singer 301. I popped the latches, peaked inside and sure enough it was a mocha 301. In my excitement I did not even check to see if the foot controller or bobbin case were with the machine. I did find the sheets I needed.LOL

This Singer 301 has to be the dirtiest machine I have purchased. She has apparently had a lot of use, the lint and dust shows that. This morning she came out of the case for oiling and greasing. The foot controller needs to be rewired but I used one from one of the Featherweights. It took me about 2 hours to clean the felted lint from around the bobbin case and feed dogs. I have never seen a bobbin case and race with hardened oil and dirt like this one.

I replaced the needle, plugged her in and gave her a test drive. What an wonderful sewing machine! I can see why people love these sewing machines. I have named her Millie for my favorite aunt. Oh, by the way I paid $25 for her, a real score. Her serial number is A175943.
Attached Thumbnails singer-301-003.jpg   singer-301-004.jpg   singer-301-006.jpg   singer-301-015.jpg