Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I have a really dumb question about needle size! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-have-really-dumb-question-about-needle-size-t258870.html)

DebbieJJ 12-29-2014 01:58 AM

I have a really dumb question about needle size!

I've only been sewing for over 50 years, so you'd think I would know the answer to this question. But I don't, I'll admit it (I'm hanging my head, red-faced :o). Now my question is this: How do you say this?
needle size 15x1.....Do you say 15 "ex" 1, or 15 "by" 1, 15 "times" 1, or what? I usually end up saying "Fifteen One" to myself.
Hope everyone has a great week, and a wonderful New Year's!

ThayerRags 12-29-2014 02:39 AM

I don't know if it's correct, but I say "15 by 1".

CD in Oklahoma

DebbieJJ 12-29-2014 02:57 AM

Thanks CD, I really thought that would be my second guess. I told you it was a dumb question, but if you don't ask, you probably never find out.

Macybaby 12-29-2014 06:18 AM

I also say " 15 by 1" . With wood, you have a two by four, written 2x4, and no one would think of calling it anything but a "two by four"

though I have no idea if the numbers for the needle mean anything - while those for wood are actual dimensions. (Rough cut, before it's planed down to 3.5" by 1.5"). In this old house we do have some walls that were made with rough cut boards - real fun trying to patch in a few studs where an opening had been.

J Miller 12-29-2014 07:29 AM

Well I asked my wife who's been sewing since like forever and she said: "15 by 1". That's the way I say it too.

Joe

DebbieJJ 12-30-2014 02:05 AM

Thanks everyone, it wasn't an important question, but I've been wondering for a while now, and just finally had to ask......so now I know, and I'll say 15 by 1, if I ever have to -- outloud.
BTW Macybaby, I've also wondered if the numbers mean something, so it's good to know I'm not the only one that doesn't know. I've got too much time on my hands if I think of strange things like this......:p

quiltedsunshine 12-30-2014 07:12 AM

Well... my boss has always told me to say 15 "ex' 1, BLx1 is BL "ex" 1, DBx1 is DB "ex" 1. Which is how Leonard from Shing Wholesale would have said it. Don't suppose it matters that much.

tessagin 12-30-2014 07:20 AM

I do the "by". I've heard others say "times" and I have heard " 15 1" excluding the x altogether.

oldtnquiltinglady 12-30-2014 03:58 PM

I guess I don't have sense enough to say either one--I just pick up a pack of needles in the store and check to make sure they are "sharp" as opposed to "ball point", and look at the sizes (12, 14, 16). But now that I have an embroidery machine, it looks like I may have to be more discreet in my purchases.

Cari-in-Oly 12-30-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady (Post 7027359)
I guess I don't have sense enough to say either one--I just pick up a pack of needles in the store and check to make sure they are "sharp" as opposed to "ball point", and look at the sizes (12, 14, 16). But now that I have an embroidery machine, it looks like I may have to be more discreet in my purchases.

Don't do it! Don't get sucked into buying embroidery needles. I have 3 embroidery machines now, two Janomes and a Brother besides all my sewing machines and I can't see paying the higher price for them. Once you get into machine embroidery you'll find that most of the good designers recommend plain 15x1 size 11 or 12 sharps anyway. I buy my needles in bulk so I can use them in all my machines(except my sergers of course).

Cari