Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I was just gonna look - Honest (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-just-gonna-look-honest-t243257.html)

deplaylady 03-16-2014 03:26 PM

Cathy- can you come and arrange my house? I think you might find room for at least a dozen more machines!

Rodney 03-16-2014 05:51 PM

Cathy I'm very sorry to see that your mother is in hospice. You, your mother and your family will be in my prayers.
Rodney

amyjo 03-16-2014 08:01 PM

your family will be in my prayers. So sorry, but at least she had a full life and I am sure that she will be up there looking down on you finding more goodies to store in your home. I lost my mom a little over 2 years ago and still wish she was here to talk to, but I just go right ahead and pretend she is sitting there listening to me talk about my problems and it seems like the solution comes to me after that talk.

cricket_iscute 03-17-2014 09:17 PM

I'm sorry about your mother, Cathy. Prayers coming for her and you and your family.

Regarding the sewing machines, you are as bad as I am - and that is saying something!

Cricket

minibarn 03-18-2014 05:45 AM

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Prayers for you and your family.

Jp

and congrats on the new machine. i struggle w/finding room for 8 machines, 22 would take over the house, lol.

nanna-up-north 03-18-2014 06:01 AM

I know that having your mom in hospice is difficult. Prayers for you, your mom and the family.

I hope you love your new embroidery machine. I have one, don't really use it much, but it's there when I get the notion to use it. That's the part that's important.... knowing it's there when I need it. And, I do suggest, as someone else said, go take the lessons they offer. I didn't and wish I had.

My DH ask me how many machines I have now..... I came up with 16. I know that's not as many as you have or many others have but it's starting to become daunting. The deals I can't resist are getting fewer.... that's good for me.

tropit 03-19-2014 06:21 AM

Uhhh...does that mean the new shed is out? :)

tropit 03-19-2014 06:24 AM

[[Hugs to you, Cathy]] Sending lots of love to you and your family.

~ Cindy

Macybaby 03-19-2014 11:38 AM

no - the new "shed" is very much still on the options list.

But it's turned into a 3 stall garage right up next to the house (Can't go "attached" because our house has foundation issues - like not having one LOL!!) with an full upper level. That upstairs would be climate controlled and would contain my office (I work from home three days a week) and my quilting, and my "collection" of machines. DH gets the extra bay in the Garage for what he wants, the other two will be for the cars. Then he can put the riding mower and some other stuff in the second bay of the Shop (Truck is in the other one). Right now his car sits outside year round.

Anyway - DH and I have had some "heart to heart" talks about future plans, as we had often talked of moving south after my parents were both gone, and that will be a reality in the very near future, and no reason to build anything if we didn't want to stay. . .

First step is to find out if the County has any objections - or stipulations about what we can do.

tropit 03-20-2014 08:27 AM

We're thinking of doing something similar. The upstairs would be my own studio for quilting, sewing machines, etc. :::sigh::: and the downstairs would be for machinery and other "barn stuff." We will need a permit, I'm sure. However, in our county you only need a permit for a storage area if it is greater than 10x20 (I believe,) and there's no living, or working in the space.

When we first came here, this was just bare land and we've been building our house ever since. We had no place to store anything in the beginning, so we rented 2 trucking containers to store all of our stuff. They worked out pretty well...kept the weather out, no bugs, or rodents. They ran about $100/month and turned out to be a good, temporary solution, although probably not the cheapest. The company came and dropped them right where we wanted them and when we were done with them, they came and picked them up...easy peasy. Today, you'd never know that they were there. Since then, we've built a 10x19' shed out of leftover materials from another project.

~ Cindy