Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I thought it was old until I saw it's birtday is after mine......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-thought-old-until-i-saw-its-birtday-after-mine-t261967.html)

ThayerRags 03-01-2015 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7110086)
Poll time
What would you do with it?
a) strip off old finish and Paint it
b) keep going over it and hope for smoother finish
c) strip it and shellac it buy new decals
d) strip it and shellac - no new decals
e) give up and leave it like it is and use it

Answer: e - I wouldn’t have even went this far with it. I’d have removed the loose paint and rust, cleaned it with sewing machine oil, and put it to work. I don’t see the need for paint on the bed of a machine that gets regular use anyway.

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7110087)
Would your poll answer change if it was a different model? What model would you prefer?

Answer: No, probably not.

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7110088)
Another opinion poll:
Would you
a) rewire it
b) put a hand crank on it
c) treadle it
d) junk it - be honest....

Answer: b & c - and put it to work.

CD in Oklahoma

J Miller 03-01-2015 06:28 AM

66s are great. Rewire it, put it together and use it for a patching machine.

I might be tempted to do a repaint if I could find some candy apple metallic red paint like they used on the hot rods in the 50s and 60s :D

Joe

QuiltingVagabond 03-01-2015 06:38 AM

Love your description "map of the world" ! :D

Glenn 03-01-2015 07:34 AM

e leave it and use it like it is. b and c treadle or handcrank and use it. But in reality I always try to make them pretty without painting. I have a 66 that I will repaint and add new decals but don't know when this will happen. I am going to try for the summer to do this. I will keep you posted.

ManiacQuilter2 03-01-2015 07:36 AM

She looks like she has had a hard life. Even I am two years older (less a month) and I look to be in better shape than she is. Good Luck with your restoration.

miriam 03-01-2015 08:10 AM

I've been removing what ever that finish is - it is very hard to get off - it does not soften at all. Right now I have linseed oil setting on it.

Rodney 03-01-2015 08:30 AM

If you've built up the shellac some you can carefully wet sand it with a sanding block and fine sandpaper to flatten the clearcoat a bit then add more shellac. I use mineral spirits as a lubricant for sanding. That way you can build up the finish in all the pits and low areas to smooth it out a bit more. The danger is you can sand through the shellac and into your decals and japanning.

You mentioned the clear coat doesn't soften. I wonder if Singer switched to lacquer or varnish instead of shellac on later machines.
I tend to want to save everything. I would at least flatten out the finish on the bed. It's easier to slide your fabric around on a slick smooth surface. Being a 66 and common I don't think anyone here would be offended if you repainted it either.
Rodney

J Miller 03-01-2015 08:40 AM

Miriam,

Forum settings allow for 10 pics per post. I've done that a couple times. I don't know what is going on with your computer or what ever thingy you're using. But I doubt it's the forum that's the problem.
It might be a size factor too. A 640x480 pic is only around 55 KBs, your pics are all more than twice that.
Just some thoughts.

Joe

miriam 03-01-2015 08:42 AM

I thought I minimized my pics. argh

miriam 03-01-2015 08:44 AM

I'm having some luck softening it by putting a lot of linseed oil on it. right now it is covered in it and in time out to see if it helps. I would like to keep it from getting down to bare metal if I can. This stuff is very hard and yes I wonder if it has lacquer mixed in with shellac or something. It may wait until spring - it stinks in here. So far I have about a fourth of it looking a lot better out side of places scratched through the black. I'm done worrying about decals on that machine - I want smooth.