Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I want a chain stitch machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-want-chain-stitch-machine-t234282.html)

Macybaby 11-08-2013 08:08 AM

I want a chain stitch machine

So what would you reccomend I look for?

As for what I intend to do with it? Mostly I just look at them and collect parts for them. I'm pretty undemanding of most of my machines LOL!!

Vridar 11-08-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6393874)

As for what I intend to do with it? Mostly I just look at them and collect parts for them. I'm pretty undemanding of most of my machines LOL!!

Me to. We buy 40# bags of dog food and the chain stitch at the top is fun to unravel. I've wondered if maybe chain-stitching could be used as a basting stitch. I have a child's toy #40 and occasionally play with the chain stitch. I would like to find an inexpensive 403G (or is it a 401, 411?) as I think Miriam indicated it could be set to chain stitch or any other inexpensive machine that might work. I'm finding they are rare and expensive. But, then I tell myself we have to start selling instead of acquiring.:(

J Miller 11-08-2013 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6393874)

If you are looking for an antique machine I have no idea.
If you are looking for a machine that can be used and will provide other sewing pleasures go get a 158 series Kenmore. I have had two of them, sold one, that did the chain stitch. Excellent machines and with the cams you can go nuts with designs. Very strong sewers too. Accessories include button hollers, monogrammers, footsies of all types as well as the chain stitcher thingy.
My keeper is a 158-15570. They are or were made by Maruzen / Jaguar and I can find no faults with them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445627[/ATTACH]
Here's the only pic I have of mine. It must be good, Pollyanna likes it ... :D .

Joe

Joe

Macybaby 11-08-2013 10:24 AM

I didn't know the 158 series Kenmore could do that! I want one of them anyway! DH passed up on one cheap at the Goodwill, and he's been kicking himself since. He went back a few days later but it was gone.

Macybaby 11-08-2013 11:49 AM

ok- my husband thinks I already have two machines that will do the chain stitch - the 401G and the 500. They both have this little extra lever by the take up arm.

miriam 11-08-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 6393899)
Me to. We buy 40# bags of dog food and the chain stitch at the top is fun to unravel. I've wondered if maybe chain-stitching could be used as a basting stitch. I have a child's toy #40 and occasionally play with the chain stitch. I would like to find an inexpensive 403G (or is it a 401, 411?) as I think Miriam indicated it could be set to chain stitch or any other inexpensive machine that might work. I'm finding they are rare and expensive. But, then I tell myself we have to start selling instead of acquiring.:(

you need the G model to do the chain stitch

guntherquilter 11-08-2013 03:43 PM

I have a Baby Lock Cover stitch machine which also does a chain stitch. BL also has a top of the line serger that has these two features.

tessagin 11-08-2013 03:48 PM

DH let's the little guy run with the stitching on the bad of dog food. Brutus favorite thing to do. ?

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 6393899)

SHELTIE'SMAMA 11-08-2013 04:27 PM

Back in the 60's I had a slant needle Singer Touch and Sew and it did the chain stitch. I used it a lot for making all the princess A-line dresses fit like a glove. Saved hours with the stitch ripper. Wish I still had that machine.

miriam 11-08-2013 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA (Post 6394539)
Back in the 60's I had a slant needle Singer Touch and Sew and it did the chain stitch. I used it a lot for making all the princess A-line dresses fit like a glove. Saved hours with the stitch ripper. Wish I still had that machine.

too bad you live so far away....