Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Information regarding the DISPOSING of old machines at Goodwill (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/information-regarding-disposing-old-machines-goodwill-t180774.html)

Charlee 02-27-2012 06:18 AM

I'm not sure why they use the term "hoarding", but I'm pretty sure the policies are in place to keep employees from skimming the cream of the donations....saying something isn't going to sell, and then taking it home.

You'd think tho, that he'd have taken it out of the dumpster and let you purchase it when you showed interest.

coopah 02-27-2012 06:40 AM

Goodwill isn't the only place that dumps usable items. I can't name the store, but a friend worked at a chain that carried seasonal items. After the holidays, anything not sold was dumped when it could have been used well at homeless shelters. Makes one wonder who makes such "policies."

katykwilt 02-27-2012 07:10 AM

Hoarding? My eye. I've been collected older "mechanical" machines to use to train ladies who are in tough circumstances to sew, quilt or just plain mend things. I have purchased 8 machines to date (to add to my other 2), cleaned them, repaired them and am using them for a good purpose -- at least I think so. I do not call it hoarding. I would have called out the jerk that said it was hoarding and immediately asked for the manager and if that person concurred, would have contacted the region manager. No machine should be trashed because of social problems. There are too many folks out there who can revitalize them and do something good with it.

adrianlee 02-27-2012 12:53 PM

I would love a treadle machine. My gram had one when I was growing up and I learned how to sew on it and made 'doll' clothes for my 2 cats. When Gram passed away the treadle went to her baby-sister and I'm sure it got passed down to her daughters. Yes, the cousins sew too. I can't believe that Goodwill store dumps them. Yikes!!!

brendadawg 02-28-2012 08:04 PM

Sounds like a good time for dumpster diving.

BETTY62 02-28-2012 08:16 PM

Things like this sure make it hard for people to donate good useable items for the cause.

fmd36 03-01-2012 07:34 AM

I preferr Salvation Army if I donate. I do have an emb. machine ready to go to someone and I know SA will come and pick up. Also...(not to sound like the "dumpster police" )but I think there are laws about dumpster diving and they might have had some concerns about that. fmd36 in NH

Caroline S 03-02-2012 07:22 AM

Update on Goodwill Sewing Machine Disposal

I went to my local Goodwill yesterday and spoke to the manager about how they dispose of old sewing machines. She told me that they are not just thrown into a dumpster. They are collected and sent to the main Goodwill in our area, Tacoma, WA. There they decide whether or not they are able to be sold. If not then they are bundled and sent/sold to a metal salvage yard. My next trip will be to the main store and make some more inquiries about those old sewing machines. I am sure that some of those machines going into the salvage bin would make good parts machines. Will keep you posted.

janeite 03-05-2012 09:03 AM

Caroline, I bet you will find some sweet machines there. Have you had a chance to go yet?

Caroline S 03-05-2012 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by janeite (Post 5033248)
Caroline, I bet you will find some sweet machines there. Have you had a chance to go yet?

Going tomorrow. Will post update.