Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Information regarding the DISPOSING of old machines at Goodwill (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/information-regarding-disposing-old-machines-goodwill-t180774.html)

Caroline S 02-26-2012 11:04 AM

Information regarding the DISPOSING of old machines at Goodwill

My DD went to Goodwill yesterday to pick up a sewing machine for me ( A vintage White Rotary Model 77 in a really neat cabinet, they just find me somehow!). While they were loading the machine for her the man who was loading the machine told her that they had just thrown an old treadle machine into the dumpster!!! She said WHAT???, was it still there? He said yes, but they could not take it out and give it away because it was considered HOARDING. She asked him if that happened again could she be called. And he gave her the same answer, nope it is considered HOARDING. I have seen some really sad looking vintage machines on the Goodwill site offered for sale. Does anyone know what the Goodwill criteria is for disposing of vintage machines? :mad:

J Miller 02-26-2012 11:20 AM

I'm thinking they don't sell at auction so rather than re-list them they dump them.

I'd be tempted to sneak back over after business hours and rescue that poor machine. Either that or go inside and grab the manager and tell them you have X $$ to give them for that machine and you're taking it short of the SWAT team stopping you.

Joe

J Miller 02-26-2012 11:23 AM

One other thing you might do is contact Goodwill corporate and raise a BIG stink. My wife says contact the local news agency and make them look bad.

I'm afraid to go to the local GWs around here. I'd probably end up in jail trying to rescue some fancy treadle machine.

Joe

Caroline S 02-26-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5010527)
I'm thinking they don't sell at auction so rather than re-list them they dump them.

I'd be tempted to sneak back over after business hours and rescue that poor machine. Either that or go inside and grab the manager and tell them you have X $$ to give them for that machine and you're taking it short of the SWAT team stopping you.

Joe

Thank you Joe for the suggestion. Next time I go to that particular Goodwill, I WILL
contact the manager regarding dumping old sewing machines. If I get no satisfaction the next step will be to contact the corporate office. If that fails, the local news agency will be in order. Sweet Caroline can be a stinker sometimes.:mad:

J Miller 02-26-2012 01:48 PM

Go get 'em Caroline!

Joe

crafty pat 02-26-2012 01:56 PM

My new Vogue pattern mag. came yesterday and had an article on the joy of sewing with a treadle machine. I am sure there are sewers and quilters that would love to have them.

Mitch's mom 02-26-2012 08:02 PM

Who is Goodwill to decide what is, or is not, "Hoarding"? To throw away a machine because someone wouldn't pay their exorbitant price, or because it may have been missing a part, is wasteful and short sighted. I thought Goodwill was in the business of helping people. If it can be fixed and they don't want it, someone should be allowed to take it and pass it on to someone who can use it.

janeite 02-27-2012 03:21 AM

Could that really be company policy? Seems strange that they would turn down money.

KyKaren1949 02-27-2012 03:57 AM

Goodwill does have an auction site. www.shopgoodwill.com
They have treadles listed on there occasionally.

Daylesewblessed 02-27-2012 04:53 AM

It may be the policy of the store to discard what items they think are unsellable, but to hear them say they can't give things away because it is considered "hoarding" is laughable.