Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Johnson Ruffling Machine giving me tension fits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/johnson-ruffling-machine-giving-me-tension-fits-t301428.html)

lindawmn 12-08-2018 04:29 PM

Johnson Ruffling Machine giving me tension fits

This is the machine, not the attachment. They were created from the old Singer 15s. I just can't get it to keep a proper tension. The top thread just lies flat and I can see the bobbin loops on the top of the fabric. I've loosened the tension and tightened the tension on the machine with the same results. Haven't tried the bobbin tension yet. Frustrating. Any thoughts? I'm somewhat new to sewing, so don't be afraid to insult me with the basics ;)

OurWorkbench 12-08-2018 04:47 PM

Are you sure it is threaded correctly? The thread needs to go between the discs, which hopefully are in the correct position to start with. I don't remember off the top of my head, but the check spring needs to be in the proper position and threaded correctly.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

OurWorkbench 12-08-2018 06:22 PM

Be very careful with bobbin tension - it is a very small screw and easily lost. While you should be tightening it, sometimes things happen. A very strong magnet extremely close helps. Here again make sure it is threaded correctly, under the spring.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

lindawmn 12-11-2018 02:21 PM

I brought up my bobbin case for the 15 downstairs I bought new, and sure enough, that solved the tension issues! I'll play around with the original case. Good tip on the magnet!!

Mickey2 12-11-2018 03:19 PM

Good to hear things are working out. You might need to take off the spring in the old bobbin case, there's two screws there, make sure you don't loose them. Have a tea towel on the table your work or something like that to prevent it from falling on the floor. The outer screw should be tight, the second screw is the tension adustment. Do a drop test with the thread you most commonly use, and fine tune from there. There's also the 1 oz rice bag drop test.

lindawmn 12-13-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 (Post 8174867)
Good to hear things are working out. You might need to take off the spring in the old bobbin case, there's two screws there, make sure you don't loose them. Have a tea towel on the table your work or something like that to prevent it from falling on the floor. The outer screw should be tight, the second screw is the tension adustment. Do a drop test with the thread you most commonly use, and fine tune from there. There's also the 1 oz rice bag drop test.

Thank you. I bought one of those bobbin tension gauges from the Featherweight Shop as I was putting in an order anyway. My husband likes toys and I can easily get him to test for me with this.

Macybaby 12-13-2018 01:55 PM

Glad you got things figured out - and I'd love to see a picture of your machine - it sounds really neat!

lindawmn 12-14-2018 03:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8176008)
Glad you got things figured out - and I'd love to see a picture of your machine - it sounds really neat!

This is it! It's really cool but if I don't use it enough, might end up re-selling:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605329[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605330[/ATTACH]

Mickey2 12-14-2018 04:03 PM

It looks very nice. I have unfortunately never needed a ruffle, but I have played around with the ruffle attachments that came with my Singers. You might need some ruffles for curtains or blouses in the future.

lindawmn 12-16-2018 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 8176583)
Nice looking machine. This is a modified Japanese 15 class machine, not a Singer.

Cari

Thank you Cari! I figured it was one or the other. Can I ask you how you identified it as I'm still learning