Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Just for Fun, what is the wackiest thing you have found in a vintage machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/just-fun-what-wackiest-thing-you-have-found-vintage-machine-t245559.html)

miriam 04-23-2014 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn (Post 6687619)
I picked up a Sphinx machine from a thrift shop. At the shop they had used packing tape to attach a puzzle box( in a zip lock bag) to the machine. The tape was wrapped around what had been a perfect decal. I almost want to leave it (the tape) alone.

I yell at the thrift stores all the time about that. Ruins decals. Ruins paint.

DonnaC 04-23-2014 06:36 AM

On a machine I just bought, there was a piece of tape over the decals. I very carefully used Goo Gone to remove the tape, and it didn't damage the decals at all... just a suggestion for you. I did not rub hard though, just very gingerly and carefully.

Mrs. SewNSew 04-23-2014 06:58 AM

I found hook sections cut from old bra straps in the case with my Singer 128.

sunny42539 04-23-2014 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by NopahDesertRat (Post 6685823)
Hi,

I have been wondering if I am the only one finding weird stuff in old sewing machines.
Lets hear what you have found.
My most unusual was a bunch of popped popcorn in a beautiful 1906 White family Rotary. It began falling out and falling out, I thought it was never going to stop.
Mice nest, old pins, scraps seem normal.
My son, who I am afraid I have infected with the old sewing machine bug, sent me some photos of a machine he was cleaning. He took off the face plate and out fell dead cockroaches & their feces.

So lets hear it from everyone, send us your strange "find" in a sewing machine.

Ethel

sunflower seeds I guess from where the mice put them

sunny42539 04-23-2014 07:12 AM

Look on you tube just type in "threading a white rotary sewing machine"

sunny42539 04-23-2014 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6687250)
Mines not that bad, I just got a White Family Rotary from Shop GW. It looked good in the pics, and actually it's in quite good shape. It was shipped in it's case, which amazingly survive with only 1 bent latch screw. I opened the box of attachments left rattling around underneath. Inside was an attachment that had me mistified. It had 2 positions and was spring loaded.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472756[/ATTACH] Now I've been on the planet awhile, and rebuilt Tube hi-fi's in the past, but I din't figure it out very fast. A clue is 1 postion say 33, and the other says 45. So I'm guessing it's some kind of turntable adapter. I did spend a couple minutes trying how the heck to attach it.
The machine [ATTACH=CONFIG]472757[/ATTACH]
Now to find a link on how to thread it!...

Just look on you tube type in"threading a white rotary sewing machine"

Cecilia S. 04-23-2014 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn (Post 6687619)
I picked up a Sphinx machine from a thrift shop. At the shop they had used packing tape to attach a puzzle box( in a zip lock bag) to the machine. The tape was wrapped around what had been a perfect decal. I almost want to leave it (the tape) alone.

HelenAnn, if you have not done anything yet; consider using oil, oil, more oil, and three parts patience as well. You may be able to de-glue-gunk the tape and save the decals...

Heartbreaking!!!

abdconsultant 04-23-2014 08:48 AM

A 1" long real fingernail.

miriam 04-23-2014 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant (Post 6687940)
A 1" long real fingernail.

ooh how sick.....

redmadder 04-23-2014 12:13 PM

A shoe horn.