Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Latest thrift shop find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/latest-thrift-shop-find-t274832.html)

Sewnoma 01-22-2016 06:38 AM

Latest thrift shop find

3 Attachment(s)
I love thrift stores so much...I find all SORTS of neat stuff. Sometimes I find nothing at all, sometimes it feels like they seeded the place with treasures just for me to come and find.

Yesterday's treasure-find: a 403A!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540793[/ATTACH]

This was in a really beat-up cabinet...I bought the machine and "re-donated" the cabinet. I didn't want it and don't have the space!

It's interesting - the bobbin tire looks brand new and the needle is really shiny and new too, but when I checked "under the hood" I can tell it hasn't been greased in quite some time and the body overall is dusty from storage - actually I think it's sawdust. Lots of wear marks, but the bobbin area was really clean and I don't see any signs of abuse - all of the plastic spool pins are even intact. My guess is that someone used and took care of this machine pretty well but didn't know about oil or lube.

I didn't check the motor at the store; when I got her home I plugged her in and she runs but seems a little sluggish. I think a good cleaning and re-greasing and some time running should fix that and quiet her down too.

No accessories, cams, or manual, but I have a bunch of stuff from my Rocketeer that'll fit and I'll just download a manual online, I'm sure they're easy to find.

A couple more pre-bath photos - she looks cleaner in the photos than she really is - she's going to look like new after I get her cleaned up! And oh how I love that slant shank!! The little "fin" above the faceplate reminds me of my oldest dog's head, she's got a little skull ridge just like it, LOL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540794[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540795[/ATTACH]

Happy Friday, everyone!

DKuehn 01-22-2016 07:23 AM

Very nice find! I have thought about checking out the thrift stores around here, but judging by your screen name you've probably already cleaned them out. lol

QuiltingVagabond 01-22-2016 07:31 AM

Aren't thrift finds just the best?!

Sewnoma 01-22-2016 07:33 AM

LOL! I probably go out "junking" at least once a week, but usually only hit one or two stores. I'm sure I miss a lot, and I pass up a lot of machines too, because I just don't have the space and I'm borderline hoarder as it is!

That same thrift shop had a nice 15 and a 101 several weeks ago, both were under $30 and I left them both there. The 15 was only $15 because it was half off and I still left it there. It kind of hurt, but I already have a 15. I sort of regret not grabbing the 101 though. I went back for it and it was gone...lesson learned!

Mrs. SewNSew 01-22-2016 08:26 AM

Congratulations! I found a 403 recently too! It was in one of those really cheap plastic cases, broken of course and no cord either. It had a foot control though. Because I couldn't test it they let it go for 7.00. Then last week I found a bag in one of the bins that had extra foot control written on the outside. It had another foot control and the power cord. I bet they got separated because someone didn't know anything about old machines. I got the bag for 2.00. ;)

barny 01-22-2016 08:40 AM

Sewnoma, my son says those skull ridges on dogs are their smart ridges. We are always telling his dog how smart she is, LOL Barny

tessagin 01-22-2016 09:14 AM

Gorgeous!!!

Stitchnripper 01-22-2016 09:55 AM

Wow, great find!!!!

ManiacQuilter2 01-22-2016 10:40 AM

I never find much in thrift stores any more. You guys have ALL the luck!

chris_quilts 01-22-2016 11:47 AM

Sweet find, Sewnoma. Hope she runs well once she's been cleaned, oiled, & lubed.