Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Look at the Kenmore (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/look-kenmore-t253276.html)

Coolfire 09-04-2018 08:25 AM

Re: what is this

Chris! Or anyone else! Could you tell me how to use it? It doesn’t make any sense to me! :rolleyes:

leonf 09-04-2018 08:47 AM

welcome aboard. Be careful with your machine. Unplug it look for breaks and bad connections If you can find your brushes you may want to clean or replace them. Use a powerstrip and it might be a bit safer for testing. 110 voltage can kill. or 220 depending on where you live.

Steelsewing 09-04-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Coolfire (Post 8120893)
I just bought one at an estate sale exactly same machine! The cabinet is wonderful, lots of drawers and large extended tabletop! Only problem is — I got it home, hooked it up and noticed I got a slight shock when I touched it. When I tried to sew with it, the motor sounded but wouldn’t run. The light also flickered when it was trying! What do you all think?

The Cardinal rule of Vintage sewing machines: never plug the machine in without going over every inch of the wiring. Unplug the machine and physically inspect all the wires. This would include the wiring inside the front of the machine where the light bulb sits. Often... years and years of opening and closing the door to the light weakens the integrity of the fifty year old insulation where the wire bends. Make sure to check it for small breaks. That's what you're looking for when you go over the wires: any cracks in the outside rubber-like insulation that might expose the copper wire inside. Do this as well with the leads to the motor - especially where the wire may have had to bend back and forth - and always around the entrance to the motor.

The other thing you can do with the machine unplugged, is make sure the hand wheel will turn somewhat freely by hand. It shouldn't bind or be really stiff. If it is difficult, then consult your manual and oil it as it suggests. Avoid oiling the nylon if possible.

If you do find breaks in the wire, or even if you don't... if you're getting a shock from the deck of the machine... find an experienced or certified repair person or licensed electrician to examine and repair it. If it's a Lady Kenmore model 89: it's a fabulous machine. A real joy. Worth saving.

Coolfire 09-06-2018 01:11 AM

Thank you all for the advice! I am taking it to a sewing machine repair man and we will see what happens! I am having a hard time waiting for it to get fixed! So impatient to start sewing again, has been a few years now and am newly retired so have time to make stuff again! :D

rryder 09-06-2018 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer (Post 6880663)
I'm shocked that it has plastic/nylon gears. I thought it was before that time. I would not consider it desirable for that reason. With so many old machines around, why bother with one that has parts that fail???? IMHO, anyway.

A number of machines were made with metal gears but had nylon or plastic camstacks. I have a white 970selectronic with all metal gears and either plastic or nylon camstack. My Brother VX560 also has all metal gears but the camstack is either plastic or nylon. I would not rule out a machine with either nylon or plastic camstack unless it’s cracked. If you can’t get there to look at it in person ask the seller to open it up and take pictures of the camstack showing all sides.

Rob

OurWorkbench 09-06-2018 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Coolfire (Post 8121090)
Chris! Or anyone else! Could you tell me how to use it? It doesn’t make any sense to me! :rolleyes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600597[/ATTACH]

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.