Look at the Kenmore

Old 09-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Default Look at the Kenmore

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490830[/ATTACH]
Considering this machine. Who knows if nylon camstack? Owner not able to help me on this. Model number? If have one, how does it sew? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 01717_1ljwu4xvefr_600x450-1-.jpg  
Old 09-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Banned

Can't answer your questions but I like it! It looks old enough to me to be metal inside but I'm not in the know about Kenmores.

Cari
Old 09-08-2014, 05:49 PM

This is the model 89, the 'Lady Kenmore'. It has a nylon cam stack. Mine doesn't quite run yet (it's getting there):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490831[/ATTACH]

It's made in W. Germany by Gritzner-Kayser. There were versions for Pfaff, Gritzner, and Kenmore. It's a model that's considered desirable and the one you're looking at is in very good condition -- better than mine. I don't have a manual.
Attached Thumbnails model89-640x480-.jpg  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Banned

Someone told me once that nylon camstacks or gears won't break; it's plastic ones that do. I don't know whether it's true or not but I had an old Pfaff that the hook gear was supposedly nylon. That gear was worn down, not cracking or breaking just worn down from heavy use. The machine just kept on chugging away.

Cari
Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Someone told me once that nylon camstacks or gears won't break; it's plastic ones that do. I don't know whether it's true or not but I had an old Pfaff that the hook gear was supposedly nylon. That gear was worn down, not cracking or breaking just worn down from heavy use. The machine just kept on chugging away.

Cari
I had two Necchi Lydias, most wonderous and smooth machine, and both camstacks cracked; nylon. I get really attached to a machine and don't do change well; takes me forever to move on. Thus, I am shy about another crackup relationship.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:31 PM

KenmoreRulesAll, "Lady Kenmore" sounds so regal. What do you think about the gunk or whatever. in the one I have access to purchase. that is in the stitch dialer to the left side? Is it hard to get in their to clean? Oh, why nylon camstack!??
Old 09-09-2014, 04:13 AM

I'm shocked that it has plastic/nylon gears. I thought it was before that time. I would not consider it desirable for that reason. With so many old machines around, why bother with one that has parts that fail???? IMHO, anyway.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:24 AM

yobro, pop the top (it doesn't require a screwdriver -- just pull it off) and you'll see the stack. If the machine powers on, watch the entire stack do at least one full revolution. (If it doesn't power on, do this with the hand wheel.) Check for any cracks, etc. This is a music box design so there is a series of following arms, one for each cam. This is an interesting departure from the more standard traveling arm. Also, try to move all the dials and see if you can select any/all of the stitch selections in the radio display.

I got mine for $15(? -- or was it $10?) if I remember correctly. I think it's a cool-looking machine. I didn't buy mine for its sewing ability and if I can get it to sew, gravy. It powers on but I'm working on unsticking the entire machine but I haven't really touched it in months.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:37 AM

It is a cool machine, plastic cams or not. I was noticing the resemblance to an old car radio. I would get it just on looks alone.
Neat machine!
Rodney
Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

Okay here's a Kenmore for you guys-
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-17865508.html

Cari