Treadle Machines Overview

Old 09-02-2018, 02:06 PM

Default Treadle Machines Overview

By next spring I will be looking for a treadle but I know nothing about what my machine options are. Can someone give me an overview? Do you ever get reverse? Are there any machines that I really should not buy? How would I tell if it is a marriage or if they are a matched set? I have read a lot of threads here and it seems like almost any machine get be revived if it is frozen. How would I tell if one is broken beyond reasonable repair. I am game to do the oiling and perhaps a bit of repair but have no knowledge or experience. I have a FW and a 1967 Singer 348, I now oil and clean them myself. Thanks in advance.

Do some of them use "ordinary" needles?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:02 PM

Singers are still commonly available in treadle form. If you want to stay true to the antique and yet still have reverse, then find a model 15-88, or a later model 66 with reverse. Many of your older Whites have reverse and parts are still available. If you want to get a little fancier... a Necchi BU from 48-52 has the same bed measurements as a Singer and they zigzag... although the hinge pins may need a slight modification. The Pfaff 30 and 130 can be treadled. A Singer 237 can be treadled. A vast assortment of late 50's early 60's Japanese class 15 machines can also fit right in a Singer treadle - and some of those may even give you decorative stitches! Since your 348 is a class 66 bobbin, the simpler choice may be (less things to keep separate) to go with a later model 66 with reverse - and that's easy to spot because it has a pull down, push up, lever on the pillar. All of the ones I mentioned should use 'regular' needles.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Steelsewing thanks for the reply. I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the prospect. I guess it is like being back in school where you got to the point in studying where you knew a bit but not enough to put it together. I would like to buy the two pieces together but I also notice that this summer we have done the garage sales here almost every weekend and never saw a treadle. I did see an Elna 1 that I am now rather sorry I didn't get but didn't know enough and when I researched for a couple of days and went back it was gone. I do have a lot of cams for my 348 and of course reverse and zigzag but it seems that they decided to change things and I cannot stop or lower my feed dogs instead I must raise the plate and I cannot FMQ then. So one the things I want to do is be able to FMQ with the treadle. Is that a good idea?
Old 09-04-2018, 08:05 AM

Kelsie, since you are just starting into the hunt. I will ad that your first priority is to make sure you find a machine with round bobbins. Transvers or vibrating shuttle machines are lovely but probably not for you. Round bobbins are far easier to find. but to keep it "simple" I'll agree with steelsewing.

Last edited by leonf; 09-04-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 AM

I may be wrong here... but the easier choices in a treadle that I mentioned like a Singer 15-88 or in particular a Singer model 66 with reverse... neither of those machines had feed dog drops. This is not to say that you couldn't FMQ on either said Singer, but that you would need the appropriate darning plate for said machine. Between the right darning plate and releasing tension to the presser foot... I can see where a person should be able to FMQ using an old Singer Treadle machine.

The option of finding a Singer treadle desk assembly and mounting in a mid fifties or sixties Japanese or Italian, or German made machine... (or a more modern Singer) could give you the feed dog drop lever you desire plus a whole lot more options all within reach: usually class 15 bobbins and standard needles.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 AM

Thank you both for your input. I have read something about those other bobbins Leonf and I had thought the same that I probably didn't want to get that complicated. I am not really mechanically minded but have enjoyed dealing with my 2 machines. I just read another thread that said you can't FMQ on a treadle GRRRRhhh. The Featherweight Shop said I could FMQ on my 348 and sold me a darning foot but I think they were wrong. Maybe I should try playing with it again but I don't have too much time at the moment. Cheers, Kelsie
Old 09-04-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

Yes, free motion can be done on a treadle but it takes practice just like anything else. This lady has been doing it for years and does extraordinary work, her treadle quilting is gorgeous.
http://doraquilts.blogspot.com/2012/...le-sewing.html

Cari
Old 09-04-2018, 10:07 AM

Cari that is a fantastic site. Thanks so much. I have only done a little SITD so far so her teachings will be so useful for me. I will have to study it more. I like her feathers, different to others I have seen. We leave for Arizona in 6 - 8 weeks, I will have more time there to quilt.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

What you plan to use a treadle to do matters. If you want a nice treadle for sewing on a binding or even feed a DAVIS VF is a good choice. If you want reverse the above mentioned a few nice machines. I find it easier to treadle a machine with a heavier balance wheel. Usually those don’t have reverse. I’d say test a few out as you get a chance and see what you feel comfortable using.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:49 AM

For FMQ, reverse doesn't seem to me to be relevant. For garment sewing, maybe. Feed dog drop is nice, but there are many examples of FMQers with treadle machines who don't drop feed dogs. Set the stitch length to 0 and use a super slider type plastic cover with cut out for the needle hole. I like Tim Latimer's blog and YouTube videos. He uses lots of different treadle machines for beautiful FMQ.
https://timquilts.com