Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My Quilting Board Journey has led me to....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-quilting-board-journey-has-led-me-t252696.html)

quilt938 08-30-2014 08:25 AM

nice! I know I've paid too much for machines but so what?! they were worth it to me (well most were LOL!) it's pretty and if you can sit down and sew on it that's even better! I've gotten too many that need something done to them - much prefer to pay more and have one already working!

Rodney 08-30-2014 08:36 AM

Yobrosew: Mine is newer than yours. Serial# FR 3255973 The last patent date on mine is June, 1913.
Rodney

KenmoreRulesAll 08-30-2014 08:38 AM

Exactly. Sewing machines are so commonly found that finding a nice one to use is easy, whereas truly collectible machines aren't easily found. As a minor, garden-variety collector, my rough scale is:

Mint -- has no visible signs of wear and is as clean as the day it was made, with standard or better attachments; works perfectly
Near Mint -- only one or two very small nicks or scratches; works perfectly
Excellent -- a little wear but with a shiny clear coat, all decals intact; works perfectly but perhaps needs some oil and cleaning
Very Good -- a dull clear coat here and there, some minor decal wear but mostly shiny and clean; works well, may need adjustment
Good -- a standard used machine with wear to the clear coat, decals, and brightwork and with some adjustment and perhaps wiring, will work just as well as a new machine
Fair -- needs work, looks like it has been well used; may need parts
Acceptable -- needs parts to be made whole, cosmetic condition will never be better than Fair unless completely restored; possibly a donor machine
Doubtful -- cosmetic and working conditions are marginal; substantial work needed to run smoothly -- may never run well, will never look decent; probably best as a donor machine
Unacceptable -- ready for the scrap heap

Rodney 08-30-2014 08:54 AM

That's a pretty good guide. Most of mine are in the Fair range. It's part of being a bottomfeeder. I don't pay the prices necessary for truly good machines unless I just get lucky.

Yobrosew: Here's a link that may help. http://treadleon.net/WhiteSM/whites.html Here's a quote from the article:
"If you call the Husqvarna/Viking/White company at 1 800 446-2333, they will date your machine for you." I tried calling but they're closed until Monday.
Rodney

SK Sews 08-31-2014 08:12 PM

From very junior junior: I love your cabinet and new machine and although it was not a financial bargain, it does seem worth the price for its unusual beauty and the fact that it works! Have a lot of fun. I can't wait to get a treadle and learn how!

yobrosew 09-01-2014 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by cari-in-oly (Post 6865391)
very nice, i like it. When i bought my featherweight, before i picked it up the owner spray painted the case to "spiffy it up". He ruined it.

Cari

ugh!!!!!!!!!!!

yobrosew 09-01-2014 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by wilburness (Post 6866047)
Great purchase! So glad you are happy. I don't think the price paid is never too much. If you are happy (yes) and the seller, the price is fine. go enjoy your new toy!

Good advice. Thanks for the encouragement AND I am enjoying it.

yobrosew 09-01-2014 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilt938 (Post 6866280)
nice! I know I've paid too much for machines but so what?! they were worth it to me (well most were LOL!) it's pretty and if you can sit down and sew on it that's even better! I've gotten too many that need something done to them - much prefer to pay more and have one already working!

It HAS been nice not having to fiddle much with it; just sew away. I do believe it has been used most of its 100+ yearts so maybe she is showing her 'wrinkles'.

yobrosew 09-01-2014 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by SK Sews (Post 6868737)
From very junior junior: I love your cabinet and new machine and although it was not a financial bargain, it does seem worth the price for its unusual beauty and the fact that it works! Have a lot of fun. I can't wait to get a treadle and learn how!

Thanks for the encouragement! I have wanted one for a very long time; just did not know I wanted an original oldie. I was picturing a 1960's machine converted to treadle, which may still happen. After hanging out here and absorbing all the information and personal histories shared, I found my inner-treadle! It will happen for you; it was worth the many year journey until I grew into the purchase. Around here Craigslist always has treadles. Keep looking. Everytime look something new is learned. Then, one day when you are not expecting it, you find something AND you have the monies at the same time. One thing I have noticed is there always comes another "just right' pristine machine. It is ok the let the "big one get away". Thanks again for the encouragement and WELCOME to the Board. Oh, and we love to see pics of machines so if you come across any neatos please share with us!