Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New Guy on the Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-guy-block-t224931.html)

Mizkaki 07-01-2013 11:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ed,

On my 221 the presserbar lifter lever is held on by a pin. It looks like you need to drive it out from the rear.
Remove the tension release lever first. Here's a picture of my pin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422093[/ATTACH]

Cathy

KLO 07-01-2013 01:01 PM

path49, Thanks so much for that tip. It was the "." at the end that I needed to delete. Guess I should be more careful when highlighting.

Ed, What an interesting blog you have. I have read through the first 6 or 8 posts and am really impressed with your work/knowledge. I have bookmarked your blog as I know I am going to want to read more about the machines you have or will have!

foufymaus 07-01-2013 01:02 PM

Welcome to the boards

path49 07-01-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by KLO (Post 6154237)
path49, Thanks so much for that tip. It was the "." at the end that I needed to delete. Guess I should be more careful when highlighting.

Ed, What an interesting blog you have. I have read through the first 6 or 8 posts and am really impressed with your work/knowledge. I have bookmarked your blog as I know I am going to want to read more about the machines you have or will have!

Glad to help! I thought that's probably what happened since I highlighted it , too.... I just happened to catch it before I tried the link.

lamx 07-01-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6153784)
Welcome Ed! So... you have unwanted industrial machines. any chance any are 1885 or earlier....? Sorry, it's a compulsion....

Steve

I have never been concerned with the age of my machines, only price and condition. But, this gave me a reason to check out my "heavy metal". I thought the only one that might be a possibility was the 29-4 shoe patcher on a treadle base but it turns out it was made in 1922. A surprise in the other direction was my two 95-10's made in 1919 and 1920. Here's the list:

1919 Singer 96-10
1920 Singer 96-10
1922 Singer 29-4
1942 Singer 31-15
1949 Singer 111W155
1950 Singer 112W140
1956 Singer 111W155
Singer 20U serial number beginning with "U" can't find listing for "U" serial numbers
Pfaff 138-6
Pfaff 144-4B
Pfaff 463

Ed

lamx 07-01-2013 03:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 6154161)
Ed,

On my 221 the presserbar lifter lever is held on by a pin. It looks like you need to drive it out from the rear.
Remove the tension release lever first. Here's a picture of my pin.

Cathy

Thanks for your effort. The back side of the pin was so far down in the hole, I could not tell whether it was a screw or a pin. I didn't want to try driving it out if it was a screw and I couldn't find a screw slot fishing around with a screwdriver. Actually, I had tried to gently drive it out but a.) didn't want to damage it if it was a screw and b.) couldn't get a good swing with a hammer in the throat.

Sooo, your post gave me the courage to try another avenue - a homemade pin driver:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422137[/ATTACH]

That got the pin out far enough so I could grab it with pliers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422138[/ATTACH]

And.........SUCCESS!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422139[/ATTACH]

Thanks much,
Ed

SteveH 07-01-2013 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by lamx (Post 6154398)
I have never been concerned with the age of my machines, only price and condition. Ed

Ed, thanks for the list, amazing machines... My "industrial" toys are more like Howe C, Wheeler Wilson 10, Wheeler Wilson 12, Singer 13

For what it's worth, on Alex's site he lists "U" as a Japan Factory mark....
http://www.sewalot.com/dating_singer...ial_number.htm

mim 07-01-2013 04:03 PM

I worked in a machine shop years ago and occasionally we would get something with a similar problem. We would drill a hole in the center of the screw - which weakens and then could remove it. Sometimes we had to re-thread the hole and match the thread with a new screw. This takes a diamond drill sharp to drill straight. The alternative is to drill a pilot hole and then try to unscrew the original. Use lots of WD40

Mim

Mizkaki 07-01-2013 04:07 PM

Ed,

You are very welcome. It was an easy check. Meaning I didn't have to go into my 100 degree garage.

Years ago you helped me out quite a few times. You sent me a huge copy of the Singer swing-needle manual and I traded you a pile of industrial instruction booklets. Soo.... thank you!

Cathy

Originally Posted by lamx (Post 6154453)
Thanks for your effort. The back side of the pin was so far down in the hole, I could not tell whether it was a screw or a pin. I didn't want to try driving it out if it was a screw and I couldn't find a screw slot fishing around with a screwdriver. Actually, I had tried to gently drive it out but a.) didn't want to damage it if it was a screw and b.) couldn't get a good swing with a hammer in the throat.

Sooo, your post gave me the courage to try another avenue - a homemade pin driver:
That got the pin out far enough so I could grab it with pliers
And.........SUCCESS!
Thanks much,
Ed

miriam 07-01-2013 04:20 PM

Welcome! I've read your blog many times! Lots of good stuff. Shop Goodwill does have derelict machines. I've been learning sssssooooooooo much lately. It is my opinion that people know they don't work so they don't bother selling them at yard sales - so they get donated... Shop Goodwill knows you can't look them over so they get top dollar. Lately the ones I've gotten have had all kinds of issues. I'll post on the vintage shop later about the one I'm stumped with.