Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   "New to me" Singer 201 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-me-singer-201-a-t258608.html)

Cogito 12-23-2014 09:17 AM

Very nice find....in your own garage no less! :D You will love this machine. I think you can find a slide plate for less than that. Be careful though. I am always on the look out for machines for replacement parts and dang if I don't bring it home and decide it's too nice to take parts off! It has caused an epidemic in my house, lol. How on earth do people find parts machines anyway!

Jeanette Frantz 12-23-2014 01:40 PM

As you said, Cathy, there are reasons why the cords are cut. Sometimes, a retailer will cut the cords off just to make sure someone isn't getting something for nothing! That's sad, but it is true. Obviously, if the cords are dangerous, I wouldn't want to use the machine until the wiring was replaced. My son worked for a retail sewing machine store/repair facility for 14 years. If old machines came in on a trade, even if there was nothing wrong with them, if they couldn't be sold immediately for a few bucks, they were sent to the "boneyard" -- where they were either busted up with a sledge hammer (shades of Miriam! LOL!), or the cords were cut off. Sometimes the cords are cut for safety and sometimes the retailer is just afraid someone else might get a penny or nickel for an old machine -- that old machine might keep someone from buying a new one from that dealer --Unfortunate, but it is what it is!

Jeanette

quiltingnd 12-23-2014 01:55 PM

It'd beautiful! I'm jealous!

Jeanette Frantz 12-23-2014 02:01 PM

Sometimes, I think I'm absolutely stupid! I've been searching on the Singer website for a bobbin plate for the 201-2. All they have listed are part numbers, but no reference (that I can find) which leads you to what part number goes for what machine. I'm totally confused! I've even looked through the instruction manual (which I downloaded free from ISMACS.net) and that didn't tell me what part number I need, either! I know I'm a rank amateur, but this is ridiculous!
Help!

Jeanette

ArchaicArcane 12-23-2014 02:38 PM

I use the old parts charts. You can find an online version of a lot of them at brewer sewing.
http://www.brewersewing.com/StockIma...1,K2,K3,K4.pdf

your slide plate number is 45358. That will give you the spring assembly on the back of it as well. Even if it does cost you $20, it's worth it for that machine.

oldtnquiltinglady 12-24-2014 08:13 AM

My 201 is the BEST Singer in this whole wide world. So quiet, and so reliable; even an idiot can sew on it (threaded wrong, needs cleaning, needs oil) it just keeps on ticking. I use it for all of my quilt finishing chores, and most of my other straight stitch chores because I love to hear it working. Yours is beautiful. I hope you can get it going and learn to love it as much as I do mine.

Keep on searching, and if you don't have any luck finding the parts and pieces you need, get back to me, and I'll go through my plunder stuff and maybe find what you are looking for. Merry Christmas and good luck in your search.

PS: I went back and looked at it again, and it looks like a Centennial model....

mjhaess 12-26-2014 10:56 AM

They are great machine..I have two....

Jeanette Frantz 12-26-2014 11:59 AM

I checked with Sew-Classic -- they're out of stock! I think I saw one on ebay, but they want $22+ for it! I guess I'm a cheapskate, but I think that's too much!

Jeanette

ArchaicArcane 12-26-2014 12:10 PM

Well you can keep looking to see if you can find one for less, but wholesale cost on it is almost $15 in Canada, so I don't see the reproductions getting much lower. You might luck out and find a used one somewhere. I would say though that for a 201, if you can be in and fix it all for about $50 - plate, pedal and cord - you got a heck of a deal.

Jeanette Frantz 12-27-2014 01:28 PM

Oh, yeah, no question about it! My son is the collector around here! He worked on sewing machines for 14 years --every once in a while, he'd bring one home that was destined for the junk yard. Like this one! He's ordered some parts and I ordered a bobbin slide plate and the foot pedal will probably be ordered this evening. It is a bequty of a machine -- like I said it's got 95-98% of the deals intact, so this one is a"keeper"! LOL!

Jeanette