Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   "New to me" Singer 201 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-me-singer-201-a-t258608.html)

Jeanette Frantz 12-22-2014 07:15 PM

"New to me" Singer 201

Wow! I did not know this machine was setting in my garage! I am so bad!

IT's a Singer 201, made in 1952 (December 18, 1952) and has 98% of its decals intact! It's a beauty -- I haven't got pictures yet, but I will. It turns rather stiffly, and someone cut the cords off, plus the bakelite electrical is "busted", it's very, very dirty! The last thing I need is another machine to work on!
Oh, well, I suppose it's part of the disease! LOL! I'll get some pictures when I get the machine where I can -- I can't lift it -- it's very heavy!

Jeanette

tessagin 12-22-2014 07:51 PM

One of those WTH Yippee moments all in one!!

Jeanette Frantz 12-22-2014 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, that's a fact. I finally got a photo. Let's see if I can get it posted[ATTACH=CONFIG]503441[/ATTACH]

There she is! She's a beauty!

Jeanette

ArchaicArcane 12-22-2014 09:39 PM

mmm,.. 201-2 - the potter motor version. You'll love how quiet it runs too. I rebuilt my motor on the living room table (I don't know why... it just happened) and put the motor back on and test drove the machine while we were watching TV. DH suddenly looks over and says: I didn't hear it, I just saw the needle bar and the take up lever moving! No, the TV wasn't THAT loud ;)

That will clean up nicely. I think you said your son fixes machines? Get him to check the wiring on the motor, it's often gooey or cracked. They rewire well and Rain has a good tutorial on VSSMB.blogspot.com

Jeanette Frantz 12-22-2014 09:42 PM

I am going to be shopping for a slide plate, and a foot pedal, as well as the bakelite fixture the pedal plugs into!

Jeanette

Rodney 12-23-2014 03:05 AM

What a nice surprise! The 201 has a reputation as Singer's finest domestic machine. I don't think you will be disappointed when you're done cleaning it up.
Rodney

Jeanette Frantz 12-23-2014 07:50 AM

The presser foot bar is frozen! As to the Bakelite electrical connection, only the switch in it -- the lever is broken off. The slide plate/bobbin cover plate is expensive -- about $20. Of course, the bobbin case and hook will have to be polished until smooth -- they're rather rough right now. I'm really happy with the cosmetic appearance -- 95 to 98% of the decals are there, intact. And, I'm pleased that the bobbin case is there. I don't know yet whether the motor runs -- some idiot cut the wires off the machine before we got it! Stupidity does GROW! LOL!
Jeanette

KenmoreRulesAll 12-23-2014 08:09 AM

LOL I wish I could go out to my garage and find a beautiful sewing machine sitting there. I personally think the 201 is one of the most beautiful straight stitch machines ever built.

That is in excellent condition and after some TLC and new parts, you'll not only have a great machine to work with but also something you can sell for a good price if you decide to.

ThayerRags 12-23-2014 08:10 AM

Sometimes there is a good reason for cutting cords off of electrical equipment.

CD in Oklahoma

Macybaby 12-23-2014 08:45 AM

My DH has cut a few cords off machines - keeps some idiot (most likely me) from plugging something in that is obviously not safe - and causing a fire or death.

Those older machines were often hardwired into the cabinet, so to remove them you have to either cut or unwire the machine or foot pedal. If the cord is questionable, it's cut. I suspect a lot that come already cut were done so for for expediency - not safety.

Reminds me of the time DH found his Dad using a very worn, unsafe outdoor extension cord. So DH went and bought him a nice new one. Not long after he went to visit and found his Dad using the old, unsafe one again. So DH unplugged it and cut off the ends. Took care of that problem.