Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Questions on old Singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/questions-old-singer-t267749.html)

SunlitenSmiles 07-20-2015 01:11 PM

how close to the Illinois border?? My son is in Lake Villa....that machine just needs loving care

barny 07-20-2015 03:42 PM

Oh, wow! I would have that machine if I had an opportunity. Why don't you keep it? It is a perfect looking machine. It looks fine.

DonnaMiller 07-20-2015 11:21 PM

DON'T TAKE IT TO GOODWILL!!!! That is too nice a machine. It has value. It will end up badly. Please find someone to take it and love it. I am in Tennessee and would love to have it, but it is just too far. Sniff.

purplefiend 07-21-2015 06:23 PM

The GW stores near me have been known to throw machines away.

NopahDesertRat 07-21-2015 07:16 PM

Please find a loving home for it. It is far too nice to drop at Goodwill. If you can't or don't want it put it on Craigslist. Someone will want it. I only wish I was closer and I could help you get it sewing.
They are wonderful machines, and it looks like it was well cared for. I just hope whoever ends up with it doesn't want it just to make a table of the legs.

Ethel

grammasharon 07-22-2015 04:58 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I wish I knew more about it but don't. I know that the needle up and down movement was smooth and that the lever to raise the foot seemed bound up, I could not lift it up. I wish I knew more about cleaning it, etc. I should bring it home and see what my hubs can do with it. LOL He loves fixing things. There were twice as many attachments in the drawer but I just didn't get a picture of all of them. Need to decide soon what to do with it as they are wanting to get it out of their house. Of course she is not a quilter so has no value to her but the asthetic value. Sharon

charlotte50 07-22-2015 05:10 AM

This machine looks like the one my mother sew with when I was a young girl. My heart broke when I seen it ,
thinking just how much I miss her. My mom sewed quilts, coats, our cloths. You have a great machine my mom loved
hers.

Mrs. SewNSew 07-22-2015 05:23 AM

It's not a terribly valuable machine so far as that goes but it's in lovely condition-both the table and the machine and you have plenty of feet for it too. The back clamp feet like that are harder to get your hands on so for someone who want it this is a lovely package. I am sure it just needs a little help to get things un-stuck, an oiling and a belt and it should be ready to sew.

I am always heartbroken at thrift stores when I see machines that children have messed with and tension parts are removed or destroyed, accessories are lost and manuals carelessly tossed away. It would be better for the machine to try and find a new home without dumping it at a thrift IMO.

grammasharon 10-01-2015 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by grammasharon (Post 7261365)
Can any of you tell me anything about this machine[ATTACH=CONFIG]525525[/ATTACH]

Just want you all to know that I cleaned, oiled and worked on this machine and it works perfectly!!! It has a wonderful stitch and runs so smoothly. Told my brother I am keeping it and love sewing on it. Of course he doesn't care because he only wanted to get rid of it. Another question I have is that on the advice of someone I used machine oil and rubbed it on the finish of the machine. It seems to be rubbing off the decals a bit now that it has set. It isn't bad but wondering if I can put some kind of shellac on to preserve them. Thanks again for all your help

sewbeadit 10-01-2015 04:14 PM

I am so glad you kept the machine and have cleaned and oiled it and it works well, yippee, that is super neat. There are threads on here that help you with the decals and what to use. Go back to the first page of this Vintage section and there are threads on the top you can read and see what will help you out, I would but I don't know all of that suff:oCongratulations on your new machine and saving it from Goodwill and whatever would have happened with it.