Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Questions on old Singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/questions-old-singer-t267749.html)

Rodney 10-01-2015 05:37 PM

Congrats on deciding to keep it! A newer model 66 helped get me hooked on vintage machines. I'm very happy it won't be going to Goodwill or any other thrift shop. There's a chance the machine might end up as a tractor in places like that.
Rodney

grammasharon 10-02-2015 06:08 AM

Rodney, just moved it in its place and will be sewing on it today. I understand getting hooked. I have just fallen in love, so to speak, with it. Can't wait until I create something with it. Having to get rid of one so I have room in this small space so letting my Singer touch and sew go. I know it doesn't have a good reputation but this one has been maintained and loved for almost 50 years and works like a charm. Problem was couldn't take it on retreats and didn't use it much. Wondering if asking $25 is too much. Thanks for your help and wisdom

Mickey2 10-02-2015 06:35 AM

$25 is not too much for a T&S in good condition. I often feel it's equally important it goes to someone who care and appreciate the machine, than what it sells for. I think it's reputation has a lot to do with setting it up correctly, and maybe some of the models had a few issues, but mostly it was about getting to know how the machine worked. The fancy bobbin functions in them was state of the art at the time.

Congratulations on your model 66, it was at the time Singers top model, with the newly developed drop in bobbin case. Some even claim it was Singers first machine who made perfect stitch, it's on the arguable side though :- )

Keep on oiling it often the next few weeks. It takes a bit of time to flush out all old dried up oil and grime and replace it with new fresh. It will make a difference later on.

Best of luck with your new machine

Mickey

grammasharon 10-02-2015 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 (Post 7333805)
$25 is not too much for a T&S in good condition. I often feel it's equally important it goes to someone who care and appreciate the machine, than what it sells for. I think it's reputation has a lot to do with setting it up correctly, and maybe some of the models had a few issues, but mostly it was about getting to know how the machine worked. The fancy bobbin functions in them was state of the art at the time.

Congratulations on your model 66, it was at the time Singers top model, with the newly developed drop in bobbin case. Some even claim it was Singers first machine who made perfect stitch, it's on the arguable side though :- )

Keep on oiling it often the next few weeks. It takes a bit of time to flush out all old dried up oil and grime and replace it with new fresh. It will make a difference later on.

Best of luck with your new machine

ickey

Mickey, when you say oil it often would you give me an idea how often. since I have never had one like this I know nothing about them. I put an add in the paper for the T & S asking $50.00 in cabinet with multiple feet, cams, manual, many bobbins, oil, needles. It was mantained yearly and I sewed on it this morning and it run like a charm. I put that much into it at its last cleaning/maintenance. Wondering if you think that is too much or should I go with it and come down if necessary

Cari-in-Oly 10-02-2015 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by grammasharon (Post 7333924)
Mickey, when you say oil it often would you give me an idea how often. since I have never had one like this I know nothing about them. I put an add in the paper for the T & S asking $50.00 in cabinet with multiple feet, cams, manual, many bobbins, oil, needles. It was mantained yearly and I sewed on it this morning and it run like a charm. I put that much into it at its last cleaning/maintenance. Wondering if you think that is too much or should I go with it and come down if necessary

Since you've always kept it in good condition, had it serviced, etc. I'd go with that asking price to start with. You can always come down later if you don't get any bites. Maybe offer to teach the new owner how to use it?

Cari

Mickey2 10-02-2015 10:12 AM

A service is easily a $100 around here, depending upon what type of work it is. Price is still on the reasonable side :- )

For the 66: When I have taken over one of these cast iron things, I have sometimes had to clean and oil for up to four days before it ran smoothly. There really wasn't anything wrong, just frozen up and sluggish by dried up oil and grime. I have made it a habit to oil every where every day, even twice a day for a week at least. I run the machine for a couple of minutes now and then too, test sew and try it out. At the end of the week I have often wiped up a second round of brown oil with grime and what not, it has sort seeped out of the inners of joints, hinges and gears. After this first period of tentative oiling and cleaning, the oil tends to remain clear and clean, and I have taken it as a sign the inner most nooks and crannies of the machine are too. You notice as the machine will run smoother and smoother.

After that I get more relaxed about it. I just live with the side effects of over oil in the beginning, for the 66 you have to be carefull and mop up excess oil behind the faceplate and down the needle bar and presser foot bar if you plan to sew anything. I fuzz a bit with oil and have turned to Triflow. Some treadle mechanisms have oil points especially made for oil, some are made to be greased. I have never had a threadle my self, just test driven a few I don't know much about what's under the table, mostly the upper part. Model 66 is made to run on oil, so no worry about grease. Cleaning and oiling is a never ending project, it's shocking how fluff and lint can gather under the needle plate!

SteveH 10-02-2015 12:43 PM

Mickey2 - May I suggest trying the solution that they used in the Victorian era for these machines that have become "sluggish by dried up oil.

Many of the early machines came with two "oil" cans. one is for oil the other for kerosene. If a machine is stuck or sluggish, perform your typical oiling process but use kerosene. it will break down the old dried oil. then do the process two more times, both with oil. the first oiling flushes out the kerosene, the second oils the machine.

I have used this process on over a dozen machines and it so far has worked every time.

Mickey2 10-02-2015 02:11 PM

Thanks SteveH, I shall remember you advice. I've never used kerosene. I have some times used thin spray can oil, it dissolves muck and dired up oil well and penetrate super fast. Regular oil seems to do the trick too, but it takes a bit more effort and patience. That said, I have never had the very dirty grimy machines some have. They have been dry and needed a good cleaning, but seemed to have been cared for up until they went into storage in the back of a cupboard.

grammasharon 10-03-2015 04:38 PM

Thanks for your advice. I sewed on it yesterday and it ran so smoothly. Did wipe up some gunk with oil residue so will oil again. I guess I can't see how it can run any better but know that it sat several years and probably has muck that I can't see. You guys/gals are so wonderful. I almost didn't take it because I didn't think it would ever work.

Mickey2 10-04-2015 03:50 AM

It sounds as your machine runs all fine by now, but as mentioned it can take a few rounds before all the gunk and grime comes out of the inners of joints, gears, and hinges. When everything is flushed out it will run another notch smoother. With a bit more oil and sewing the next few days I'm sure you will wipe off clean oil by the end of the week :- ) You mostly notice if the machine stand for a while, this gunk is what makes an oiled machine sluggish and sticky again if left alone for a few days.

Does your machine have the red oil felt near the bobbin race? On my model 99 which is about the same, the felt bit is missing. It should be held in place by a tiny spring. I need to find a way to fit a new one.