Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   refinishing sewing machine cabinets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/refinishing-sewing-machine-cabinets-t97670.html)

olebat 02-08-2011 07:06 AM

A good work over with a degreaser, and a scratch cover polish usually works for me. I've recently acquired an old cabinet which has some bad water rings on the surface. I'm not ready to refinish the entire cabinet, I rather like the original look. However, I would like to get rid of the water rings. Which aspect of this technique will best achieve that?

Greyhound Mom 02-08-2011 07:07 AM

Hi, Make sure there is ventilation-method sounds right-lot of hard work, but comes out nice!

damaquilts 02-08-2011 07:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
or for us really lazy, or unable to do the harder things. There is Howard restor-a-finish. This is what I did to a sewing machine desk I have. I no longer have the energy or the strength to do a full out strip and refinish. It doesn't look new but it is fine with me. It looks much much better.

before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132089[/ATTACH]

after
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132090[/ATTACH]

olebat 02-08-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
or for us really lazy, or unable to do the harder things. There is Howard restor-a-finish. This is what I did to a sewing machine desk I have. I no longer have the energy or the strength to do a full out strip and refinish. It doesn't look new but it is fine with me. It looks much much better.

Looks like my local Home Depot carries this. I'll give it a try. TY

GrandmaLola 02-08-2011 03:28 PM

Thanks so much Glen! Now I just have to get the energy to START!

Anna.425 02-08-2011 03:54 PM

I love refinishing furniture. I have a cabinet that is structurally sound but the finish is in really bad shape. I am going to strip it and then my DD, the talented artist, is going to paint a landscape on it as though it were a canvas.

Glenn 02-08-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
I love refinishing furniture. I have a cabinet that is structurally sound but the finish is in really bad shape. I am going to strip it and then my DD, the talented artist, is going to paint a landscape on it as though it were a canvas.

I would love to see pics when DD finishes the painting on the cabinet. It souns like it will be beautiful. Glenn

susanwilley 02-08-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts

That stuff is amazing! Did you have to sand? Can you tell me how it works? I have to treadles that I wasn't going to refinish but if it is as easy as it sounds and does THAT. I just might give it a try!

damaquilts 02-08-2011 06:17 PM

It really is easy. no sanding. just follow the instructions on the can. All you need is steel wool. And its fast.
The drawbacks are : not all the marks go away they can still be seen just dark instead of light. And you cannot put a shiny finish on it. And there are only 3 colors. At least thats all my Home Depot had Walnut, Dark Walnut and Mahogany.

ssgramma 02-08-2011 06:28 PM

Look for the Howard's at antique stores. Those that carry it usually have a better selection of colors.