Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   refinishing sewing machine cabinets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/refinishing-sewing-machine-cabinets-t97670.html)

damaquilts 02-13-2011 05:20 AM

Glenn thanks for saying the Howards will evaporate. The friend that told me to use it never said anything about that. I wonder how long it takes. Well if it does it will give whoever gets my desk when I am gone a chance to refinish it properly. :-)

Annz 02-13-2011 09:44 AM

Thanks Glenn. Bookmarked this for later reference.

JUNEC 02-13-2011 12:22 PM

OMG - thanks

djvaug 02-18-2011 03:47 PM

Thanks! I'm getting a treadle tomorrow from my new friend, Jan, and it needs to be worked on. I appreciate the heads up in how to start.

ShirlinAZ 02-19-2011 09:53 AM

Thanks for all this info, Glenn. I just bought a model 128 with bentwood case. It's missing the veneer on one end. The whole case is quite dry with flaking shellac. Can I use the same procedure on it, or do you recommend something different?

Glenn 02-27-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Thanks for all this info, Glenn. I just bought a model 128 with bentwood case. It's missing the veneer on one end. The whole case is quite dry with flaking shellac. Can I use the same procedure on it, or do you recommend something different?

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but wife had to go to hospital. Yes you can use the same technique and you can piece new veneer where missing. If not to bad you do not have to refinish the whole. If it is oak you can get veneer from Lowes. If you want post pics and I will tell what needs to be done. Glenn

ShirlinAZ 02-28-2011 07:15 AM

Glenn, I hope your wife is doing better. I set the case aside for a while - ran out of money for resto. I've done some wood work, but never applied veneer. I may PM you when I get ready to do it. Shirley

Summer Spice 02-28-2011 07:23 AM

I have a 4 drawer treadle cabinet that needs all of this...
A dear little machine in it I paid $40 for it. I will print this info and try to get to it this summer. Thank-you

wvdek 02-28-2011 08:33 AM

Glen, thanks for the tut. Your finish is more authentic and not as 'plastic' looking as some finishes today can be. My dad used to use this method for the projects he made and all have held up well for many years. I am thinking of redoing the cabinet my mothers machine is in because of all the scratches and wear spots. We shall see.

mshawii 03-10-2011 10:22 AM

Glenn, I private messaged you about two problems but I sure have gotten a lot of good ideas about how to start. I really appreciate your help. I think there will be a number of us that will be doing some refinishing. Not right now tho because it is raining cats and dogs and nothing would dry in this weather. Thanks! :thumbup: Jan