Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Repair of clear coat(shellac) on a 15-88 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/repair-clear-coat-shellac-15-88-a-t249311.html)

liking quilting 06-30-2014 07:19 PM

You are a miracle worker! Beautiful job.

foufymaus 06-30-2014 07:36 PM

Oh goodness, that machine has risen once again. She's a beauty! You sir are an artist! :D

elomax 07-01-2014 05:06 AM

Very nicely done! Could you post a link to your tutorial on your cleaning process?

While in the process of restoring an older Necchi BF, I used a diluted mixture of Simple Green to clean the exterior with what appears to be disastrous results (streaks, peeling of the original (shellac?) finish, and milky white spots).

Hopefully, your tutorial will help me to get the kind of excellent result you have achieved here.

Watson58 07-01-2014 05:10 AM

what a beauty! wonderful job

DebbieJJ 07-01-2014 05:24 AM

Skip did a wonderful job on my machine! I show it off to everyone who dares to darken my doorway! I still need to refinish the cabinet and treadle, but once it is finished, the machine will be loved and used just as my DGGM used it. I can hardly wait 'til that time! Thank you again Skip....and I'll never be able to thank you enough!

Oh, and I named her "Nancy", my DGGM's name. I just couldn't name her anything else...

Blackberry 07-01-2014 05:42 AM

OMG, that is stunning. You did one beautiful job on that machine.

BuzzinBumble 07-01-2014 06:31 AM

Not only did you did you bring Debbie's G-G GM's machine back to life, but you made sure this family heirloom will continue to be treasured in coming generations. Can you imagine? Someday a member of Debbie's family will be able to say "This was my G-G-G-G GM's sewing machine!"

Candace 07-01-2014 07:28 AM

Looks great!

SteveH 07-01-2014 07:55 AM

WHY do people even want "miracle cleaners" or "shortcut" processes. The finish on these machines took decades to get into the condition they are in, why do people want to reverse that in such a hurry? Being able to get the best results would seem to be the most important part, not the time taken.

These machines use natural materials (shellac = bug parts for example) and modern chemicals NEVER react well with them.

(With that said, I use Brasso on metal parts ALL the time, but SM Oil only on the painted surfaces)

Glenn: AMAZING job, I think I am going to hold my next event with the intent to raise funds to get you out here for an in person class session...

oldsewnsew 07-01-2014 08:08 AM

I've seen you do miracles too SteveH, apparently in one evening? I do spend inordinate amounts of time , basically cotton balks, SM oild and a wee bit of alcohol away from decals. I have many hours in the eves over a few months on ONE DavisvNVF.c I'm just curious if thats the norm. I'm not in a hurry