Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Runs backward but not forward? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/runs-backward-but-not-forward-t216943.html)

Glenn 03-22-2013 01:48 PM

I think the new repairmen would rather have the shop sell new machines rather than repairing them. Their money is from the manufacturer in the warranty repair work with parts readily available. You know they get rather large commision The repairman does to if he recomends a new machine rather than repairing the old one. Most people will buy a new machine.

miriam 03-22-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5946748)
I think the new repairmen would rather have the shop sell new machines rather than repairing them. Their money is from the manufacturer in the warranty repair work with parts readily available. You know they get rather large commision The repairman does to if he recomends a new machine rather than repairing the old one. Most people will buy a new machine.

yeah - pretty dumb people out there - I get them on the rebound - when the plastic wonder breaks they go back to the oldies.

ArchaicArcane 03-22-2013 02:04 PM

Ok,.. I Have to ask,.. how does the thread get into those places? I've found it wrapped around internal belts, inside the external motors, the gears below I can -almost- understand...

miriam 03-22-2013 02:06 PM

I don't know but if you turned Wilbur, my 3 year old grandson loose I bet anything could happen.

SteveH 03-22-2013 02:09 PM

Just remember folks, most of us get our machines because of these "dunces" who buy new ones. Wouldn't it be horrible if they one day woke up and all realized that these things are worth keeping... where would we be?

ArchaicArcane 03-22-2013 02:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5946776)
I don't know but if you turned Wilbur, my 3 year old grandson loose I bet anything could happen.

That might explain this one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403559[/ATTACH]

Closer up:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403560[/ATTACH]

That machine landed on my desk as a "Doesn't run"

I pulled 8 buttons, and a needle pack with dental impressions from a dog (I think), plus the usual pins and needle shards.

ArchaicArcane 03-22-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5946778)
Just remember folks, most of us get our machines because of these "dunces" who buy new ones. Wouldn't it be horrible if they one day woke up and all realized that these things are worth keeping... where would we be?

The scary part is when they want to keep the machines, but ruin them every 3 weeks. :( Had an embroidery machine (the home sewing machine pretending to be an embroidery machine ones) hit my desk in February for that timing issue I mentioned above. Earlier this month she called again to say the timing seems off again. *face palm*

miriam 03-22-2013 03:07 PM

I had one just last week - machine looked good but the tension would not adjust. I looked closer - it looked a little bent. I took it apart - took some doing... That pin was VERY bent. Funny but it did sew. Must have though by golly it works so I'm going to get it welded if just smacking doesn't work. I pulled the tension pin out of a T&S and got it working just fine. Real nice little machine.

pippi65 03-22-2013 08:41 PM

Well I had this very same problem with an old Viking sewing machine, What it was after my DH looked at it was..the grease you put on the gears had turned to cement. He very carefully went around the gears and removed the hard old grease and viola it worked like a dream and I still use this machine. It takes a lot of time to do this and that's why the repairman said it wasn't worth fixing. Just my experience.

QM 03-22-2013 09:29 PM

I agree with the cleaning suggestion. Until very recently, my fav repairman was an old guy who was retired from working for singer, but for a number of years worked out of his home. If you ask around, there may be someone like that who will tackle your baby and who really knows what he/she is doing.