Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Runs backward but not forward? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/runs-backward-but-not-forward-t216943.html)

miriam 03-23-2013 12:40 AM

I hope I learn what I am doing.... maybe some day...

abdconsultant 03-23-2013 04:19 AM

wow, some great suggestions...Beautiful machine. Keep it and if you can't figure it out find a REAL sewing machine mechanic!

miriam 03-23-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant (Post 5947510)
wow, some great suggestions...Beautiful machine. Keep it and if you can't figure it out find a REAL sewing machine mechanic!

Good luck with that one...

irishrose 03-23-2013 07:57 AM

I agree that it may be set in step #3 of 4 step buttonholes. Do you have an instruction book so you can pretend to make a buttonhole? This happened with the Elna once. My daughter didn't finish up a buttonhole and when I started to sew, the machine ran backwards in ZZ. Took me a few panicky minutes to figure that one out.

My favorite repairman is working part time at the LQS. Every time I see he's there, I wonder if the Elna needs anything - she doesn't, but it's good to know he's around again. He had the Singer store for a while. I should have look at this T&S before I start dismantling it.

miriam 03-23-2013 08:09 AM

As far as repair people go - we all started out at the same place - experience will teach a lot. When a person quits learning or thinks they have arrived they better watch out.

cricket_iscute 03-23-2013 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5944385)
The first thing I'd do is lay the machine on its back and pour Koil gun cleaner around that reverse knob. Let it soak for a while and then wiggle and jiggle the area, both inside and out.

I'm with Irish Rose on this one. To me, that reverse button - which I assume is the round button - looks stuck. I worked on a Morse like that. The Kroil should free it. You may have to get it via mail. And yes, the spring could be broke.

Everyone has good ideas. Nice machine! Worth fixing, in my opinion.

SewOK 03-23-2013 10:56 AM

I'm in Oklahoma City and our local auto parts store carries the Kroil oil. Good luck in getting your "beauty" working again.

Noel 03-23-2013 10:59 AM

I have a similar problem that has to do with the feed dogs, but that I was able to trace back to the reverse button. I'm trying to resurrect an old machine and the reverse button was completely gummed up. Yours looks much newer and nicer than mine, but it has the same reverse button, so I'm guessing the internals may be similar. I took off the end and the top and shot all the joints and levers liberally with PB Blaster as recommended above and the button eventually freed up. There are a lot of levers, cams, gears and springs that come into play to make it run in reverse. From what little I know, if they get balky and gummed up, the old oil and grease need to be dissolved to get things back on track. I posted as Universal Model 5510, if you're interested.

MimiBug123 03-23-2013 11:46 AM

The first thing I would do is to find a new repairman. If he didn't appreciate the machine for what it is, I would want him to touch it! I have a Morse that I love, as well!

Debbie C 03-23-2013 01:19 PM

following this thread, I'm anxious to see how it all plays out - it's such a pretty sewing machine - one I would definitely try to salvage! Get yourself to a real sewing machine repair shop. That man did you a major injustice by telling you it was not worth fixing! The nerve!! Please let us know what happens!!