Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Securing Ends Without a Backstitch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/securing-ends-without-backstitch-t256337.html)

J Miller 11-05-2014 12:03 PM

When I do straight stitching with a non-reverse machine I do the back up and stitch over method.
When I do decorative stitching I tie off the ends.

Joe

Skyangel 11-05-2014 02:00 PM

I just turn my stitch length to zero, do a few stitches in place, then go back to my normal stitch length. My electronic Bernina has a "tie-off" button and that is all it does, stitch in place 4 times.

KenmoreRulesAll 11-05-2014 04:38 PM

Drop those dogs and pull that fabric!

LindaM 11-05-2014 04:45 PM

I'm most often chain piecing, or using leaders/enders ... so I don't ever worry about securing those ends!

manicmike 11-05-2014 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6957780)
Drop those dogs and pull that fabric!

Chances are if you don't have backspace you won't be able to.

My Singer 320 manual tells you to secure the ends when sewing on buttons by sewing three stitches on zero stitch length. Hmm... Skyangel may have something there. Of course on something like a 66 or 27 it takes a long time to do this and involves a bit of guesswork.

quiltbuddy 11-06-2014 05:46 AM

I have an ancient degree (2 years) in classic French couture sewing and we were NEVER allowed to even think about using the back stitch. The l needle was left in the down position with the presser foot raised and the fabric was turned to take a few more stitches. It looks neater and there's no chance of the fabric bunching up. I have guilt feelings to this day about sewing in reverse on ANY machine.

luci4 11-06-2014 06:25 AM

If the stitch length is easy to set, just start with a very short stitch for a couple of stitches. This works well for me.

tenngal 11-08-2014 07:02 PM

That's how i do it, too.

QultingaddictUK 11-10-2014 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6956386)
The method I use is to hold the fabric in place for a stitch or two. (I had to learn to run with my presser foot tension a bit lower that I was used to)

I do that all the time and have taught my classes the same, saves soooo much time n hassle :)

Sarabela 11-10-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy (Post 6958282)
I have an ancient degree (2 years) in classic French couture sewing and we were NEVER allowed to even think about using the back stitch. The l needle was left in the down position with the presser foot raised and the fabric was turned to take a few more stitches. It looks neater and there's no chance of the fabric bunching up. I have guilt feelings to this day about sewing in reverse on ANY machine.

I think what you are describing is to put the needle down into the fabric, turn it around, take a few stitches, turn it around again with the needle down and go forward from there. Is that correct? How does that differ from using reverse? I know what you mean about feeling guilty. There are certain short cuts i cannot take because of my high school sewing teacher that taught me the "right way" to do things.