Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 101 any info appreciated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-101-any-info-appreciated-t189414.html)

sharon b 05-19-2012 10:51 AM

Singer 101 any info appreciated

5 Attachment(s)
I went to an Estate auction this morning to see about a Featherweight- it went above my budget but I did get this machine for a whooping $5.00 :) came home plugged it in and it works :thumbup: Will dust it off and give it to my niece who has caught the sewing/quilting bug :)

The book says it is a 101 the serial number AC186803 says it is from 1928- other than that I know nothing about it -

scottishmist 05-19-2012 11:00 AM

Hi Sharon b
lovely machine and I love the table .
Jan

greywuuf 05-19-2012 11:09 AM

The 101 has the distinction of being the first designed for a potted motor machine singer made. Obviously in the old classic.black style. I am unsure of the system, (oscillating or rotary hook) and also do not know what bobbins they take. They are not super popular but I am sure they are stout prescise and reliable. Hopefully someone will be along to give you some first hand info on them.

greywuuf 05-19-2012 11:12 AM

I forgot to mention what lovely condition that one is in and I LOVE that recall set. Not sure I have seen it before.

sharon b 05-19-2012 11:15 AM

greywuuf- forgive me but what is a recall set ?

I am a tad disappointed no attachments came with it or extra bobbins - so will have to figure that out for her... there was one bobbin in it but I am sure she will need/want more :)

greywuuf 05-19-2012 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b (Post 5228123)
greywuuf- forgive me but what is a recall set ?

A "Recall set" is what my phone auto corrects "Decal set" to. In other words I really like the little arrow points on the "gold leaf"
As far as atachments, it should be a low shank machine and use any of the many and varied feet suitable for any other "classic" singer (and others) I am kind of Jealous, I really like it. Maybe Joe will come along and tell you which bobbins you can use... My gut is leaning towards class 66 but I am not certain.

Charlee 05-19-2012 12:46 PM

The 101 is going to use the Class 66 bobbins.
What a beautiful machine! Remember lube for the motor ports and oil for the rest of it. Dan is right in that it will take the standard short shank attachments. :)

I think you should send it to me.

J Miller 05-19-2012 03:16 PM

The 101 fascinates me no end. When I saw the first one, the first thought I had was how tiny and inappropriate the hand wheel looked. But still I was curious. When I finally found out what the significance of the machine is I decided that some day I want one. In a case though, I've got enough machines in cabinets.

Sharon, you got a good buy ( you stole it you know ) on that machine. Your niece will be thrilled.

Joe

sharon b 05-19-2012 03:32 PM

Ok so where do I find a class 66 bobbin ? I just hope I can get my niece to appreciate the older machines :) Of course she learned to sew on a "new" computerized Brother with all the fancy stitches so this will be interesting -oh and trying to use the knee lever LOL

Thanks for all the info :thumbup:
I just knew for 5.00 I couldn't pass it up - it was sitting there so sad and lonely :(

Wish I had the cash for the featherweight I went to check out- that had all the attachments including the walking foot and went for $250.00- but that was just out of reach for me :(

Caroline S 05-20-2012 06:19 AM

I have one that I have not picked up from my OSMG. It needed to be rewired. They are not very common. But I am anticipating that it should sew as nice a a 201 or 15-91. I will know on Tuesday when I get mine back. I would say that is an awesome machine and cabinet at an awesome price.

You can get good 66 bobbins at Sew-Classic. Don't buy the ones available at Joannes, the quality is not good and the old girls don't like them.