Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 15-91 selling for $1300... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-15-91-selling-%241300-t260716.html)

Cari-in-Oly 02-02-2015 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7074965)
Looking at the bids, there is something rotten there. Why would anyone keep upping the bid when no one else has bid? I wonder if eBay ever investigates.

If you add the automatic bids then the bidding makes more sense. Someone was using a bidding app or program. Still think it might have been a shill. Or someone just got their tax return and became stuck on stupid.

Cari

I want some of those low shank straight needles.

pennycandy 02-03-2015 01:26 AM

ebay does investigate if it suspects there is shill bidding. I know of someone who was caught placing shill bids on their listings and was banned.

chance 02-03-2015 05:57 AM

Listing says "Bidding has ended on this item". Usually, if it was sold there would be a SOLD notation with the selling price noted. There was surely something not right with this listing. It was probably pulled off for some reason.

I
t
w
a
s
opr
o
n
b
ab
l
y

p
u
l
l

Jeanette Frantz 02-03-2015 03:35 PM

Something just doesn't seem right! First, anyone buying a machine should know what they're bidding on and what the item is worth; in other words if the machine is exceptional, it would be worth a little more than a run-of-the mill machine. By the time the bids reached $80, I would have withdrawn from the bidding!

Jeanette

Rodney 02-05-2015 07:41 AM

If it was pulled instead of sold there was obviously something going on. What, I don't know.
Rodney

Veinurse 02-05-2015 10:06 AM

Over the picture there is a sold sign. I have one, in a cabinet with all the attachments. I'd pay for shipping if anyone wan to buy it for that much.

d

Macybaby 02-05-2015 12:08 PM

The item does say it was "sold" not "ended" - the bidding is ended either way, so that wording does not mean anything. I've occasionally seen machines sell for extraordinary prices. it's rare - and the other times I've seen it happen, I've seen the same machine come up for sale later - so it obviously was never paid for.

The bidding pattern on this one is odd - what is strange is that the high bidder has a high count - usually when I see this happen, it's between to very low count bidders.

Makes you wonder if what they were really buying wasn't a sewing machine . . .

Sunflowerzz 02-05-2015 12:57 PM

In my world of glass bead making ( Lampworking) something similar happened years ago. Several wealthy ladies got into bidding wars over glass beads that went for several thousand dollars and they competed for several bead artists auctions. The beads were worth maybe several hundred at the most, not several thousand. The bead world just couldn't believe it.

Looks like the smart people quit bidding early and Z...E and B...S got into a bidding war. hehe