Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 15-91 ugly bottom stitching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-15-91-ugly-bottom-stitching-t191703.html)

nanna-up-north 06-14-2012 03:50 AM

One thing that people forget about is that when the presser foot is UP, the thread will slip in between the tension discs easily. But, when the presser foot is DOWN, the tension discs are locked and the thread won't go between the discs or sew correctly. Always thread your machine with the presser foot UP, then, when you lower the foot to sew, the discs snug the thread and the sewing will come out correctly....well, if everything else is done correctly.... like threading the needle from the correct direction, putting the bobbin in right, etc.

mikec 06-14-2012 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5287713)
It could be that you have the threading wrong around the tension. The thread comes across the top of the machine, goes through the tension, through the tension spring, over the bar, then up through the take up lever. If you do the spring after the bar and then go from the spring straight up to the take up lever it might do weird stuff.

Miriam, I'm confused. Looking at the manual where it describes the threading route, it clearly says to come around the tensioner (2), over the hook (3) then under the spring (4) and up to the take up lever (5). If I understood your post, you say to go through the spring before the hook on the tensioner, then from the hook, straight up to the take up lever? Is that correct? See the instruction illustration below.

http://www.pbase.com/mchad/image/144039890.jpg

Now I'm confused...

Nanamoms 06-14-2012 11:23 AM

Me too confused!!! I have never gone thru the bar last. It feels awkward. My stitches have looked good on my 15-91.

miriam 06-14-2012 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms (Post 5288930)
Me too confused!!! I have never gone thru the bar last. It feels awkward. My stitches have looked good on my 15-91.

I guess you could try it both ways and see what works best for that machine. The needle threads from the left to the right. The needle goes in flat side toward the machine. It can be very frustrating getting it tweaked. Right now, I have a Singer 15 that pukes out bobbin cases & bobbins no matter if I have the take up lever all the way up, the bobbin 'clicked' into the groove or a new bobbin. Turn the wheel and pop - there it goes... rolls right out. I think some babies just puke. This machine looks like it has had VERY little use. I should try a different bobbin case AND bobbin and see what it does. Anyway it happens... :mad:

Vintage.Singers.NYC 06-14-2012 12:35 PM

Mike, I think you're asking for trouble trying to go through three layers of Sunbrella with a #14 needle and V92 thread. I think I'd start with #69 thread and a 16 or 18 needle. Also, what type of needle point is it? Obviously you don't want to be using a ballpoint.

xxxxxxxxxx 06-14-2012 01:31 PM

I sent mike a pm on what I found when I got my 15, yes very confusing, I read and read about threading some site say the needle threads left to right , then I find it has to do with where the needle bar thread guide faces,,, on the left side it threads left to right on the front it threads front to rear, which make sense,, lining the thread with the long groove in the needle, that diagram above look like front to rear to me ??

even more confusion I ran my # ( ah 695457 ) found it's a 15 - 96 from 1954 ?? there's no model tag , today ran it again it comes up a 1948 15 - 91 ?? this has a potted motor ( don't have a clue what it's 15 - something singer ) I also have a 201, these potted motor machines are very low power ,, they do not do well on heavy fabric's, Both of these have one steel gear and one fiber gear ,,, silver is steel, red is a fiber

The bobbin case, I had the same problem with this 15, I finally took the bobbin case apart is was clean but sticky, the latch was not sliding all the way in and only locking half way..

Charlee 06-14-2012 01:38 PM

I disagree John!! Both my 15-91 and my 201-2 will power through everything I've thrown at them, and I've run some pretty heavy duty thing under those presser feet!

miriam 06-14-2012 01:58 PM

If you are using a very heavy thread you will need to make a bit of adjustment to the bobbin case and the upper tension. You may want to consider buying a bobbin case to just use for that thread & needle size.

Vintage.Singers.NYC 06-14-2012 02:35 PM

"these potted motor machines are very low power ,, they do not do well on heavy fabric's, Both of these have one steel gear and one fiber gear ,,, silver is steel, red is a fiber"

I'm not sure where you're getting this part about them not doing well--the potted motor machines are plenty strong, and the 15-91's are my go-to machine for sewing through heavier stuff. The fiber gear has nothing to do with the machine's performance.

Bottom line is if you have a 15-91 that runs properly with lightweight fabric, there's no reason it won't do as well with heavier fabric unless you're using the wrong type/size of needle or needle point, you're using the wrong thread, you've got it misthreaded, or something on your particular machine is not set up correctly.

xxxxxxxxxx 06-14-2012 03:29 PM

I'm like Tim the tool man ,,, Horse POWER ...