Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 301 301A (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-301-301a-t197294.html)

DonnaMiller 08-13-2012 06:30 PM

I received my 301 from Ebay and under $70. because the picture was terrible and the machine had white mildew on it. With a little cleaning, it shines now and has rewarded me with great and pleasurable stitching. Just be sure the parts are all there as that can be costly. It is so much more dependable than my finicky little FW. I use it way more.
Keep polishing the good old machines so they roll on into the future.

DonnaMiller 08-13-2012 06:42 PM

I agree with Irish Rose. Shipping is very perilous indeed. We have had some pitiful damage to wooden cases, due to cheap and careless packing. DH just rebuilt a case bottom for DD because of careless packing done by a so-called packing service. Having received several machines from Ebay, have found the styrofoam packing with round corners got the machines through the terrible process in the best shape. They look like small, square coolers. The sender used styrofoam to go around and inside the throat of the machine and that machine didn't move. They one in the other box ,15-91, looked like it had been rolled from Maryland. The corners were rounded on the box. Suspect someone did roll it rather than lift it, due to the weight.. If I ever send out a machine, you can bet it will be packed in nearly solid styrofoam. Oh yes, please remove the spool pins as they will go right through the wood, domed, cases if rolled about. Tape them to the machine. It took about 4 hours to rebuild the bottom and we haven't even started on the top, due to not having the correct material to repair the holes in it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

DonnaMiller 08-13-2012 07:33 PM

Thank you ThayerRags. That link was fantastic. I printed and added it to my technical manual for the 301.

judy363905 08-13-2012 07:39 PM

That seems a little high, I paid $75.00 three years ago - Mocha 301 with case and attachments...a jem of a machine...I would offer less and see what happens...other had said they paid very little for theirs... Good Luck

Judy in Phx, AZ

Stitch124 08-26-2012 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel (Post 5438019)
I have 3 of them, all mocha, 2 short bed and one long bed. $50 was the most I paid, and that one was in a nice cabinet and included a rare Singer side cabinet. The long bed is in a case. They are wonderful to sew on, I almost prefer it to a Featherweight, but they can't match the cuteness factor. Since I got my purple FW, it's my favorite. We are preparing to move in a few months, so I will probably be selling 2 of my 301s.

I would be interested in your long bed 301 if you are going to be selling it. Could you provide some more details about it and pics if possible? Thanks much,